Steering Wheel Boss/Centre

PostPost by: SimonJM » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:11 pm

When I bought my car (71 +2S 130) it was fitted with a wooden Moto-Lita wheel with a metal (as opposed to plastic) centre. It looks great, but I would like to fit an original Lotus wheel. I managed to persuade the dealer to throw a decent leather wheel into the deal (black spokes, no signature), but it doesn't have a centre and the Moto-Lita boss is, of course different, so will need to be replaced.

This was a few months ago and I had a quick look on eBay at the time. There were three centres for sale, so I thought they were easy to get hold of and left it for a bit. I am now regretting this as I haven't seen another since.

Does anyone know where I might be able to track one down? Ditto a boss? (Paul Matty doesn't have them.) I am based in the UK.
SimonJM
New-tral

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:52 pm

If you look in the for sale section I think that pmallinson may have a wheel for sale - if it hasn't gone - might be easier than looking for parts of a wheel.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:10 am

Howdy,
Can you put a Spitfire centre/boss on it? That could be the original wheel, does it have holes or slots? (assuming there are later model +2's without signature wheels,,,)))

I've come to learn there's a near infinite supply and quite a variety of Spitfire wheels available, some very cheap and they look okay on a Lotus. What other car used our shared column? GT6? Herald? (what a hoot) Do Europa wheels fit?

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:42 pm

The column was for Spitfire up through MKIII for no steering lock. Used on Elan, Europa, and I'm pretty sure the Plus 2 as well.

I know the boss is the same for Spitfire, Herald, and GT6+ through 1970. I believe it's also the same for the TR's through TR6 although the wheel size itself is different.

I adapted the Momo I used with a Grant Spitfire adapter. Yours may be similar; a suitable wheel should be quite easy to find.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:52 am

Before you fit the new wheel just make sure you will be happy driving it, I replaced mine with a slightly smaller motolita leather one because the original was just to big and cumbersome.
I am on the other hand 6' 4" and seem to have a proportions similar to an orangotan so perhaps it's just me.

I Sold the old one on ebay.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:39 am

Eric,

I think you will find that the Europa wheel has is more deeply dished, which will probably bring the wheel far to close to you in an Elan.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: