I can't get my wheel nuts off!

PostPost by: SimonJM » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:07 pm

Sorry for such a pathetic first post, but I'm a bit stuck ...

Have had my '71 +2S 130 for a few months now and I decided to treat it to a set of 3-ear spinners. Unfortunately this has gone precisely nowhere as I can't get the Naders off.

I'm using a long handled spanner that came with the car and I am turning with all my might in the direction labelled "undo".

I'm a bit reluctant to introduce any form of lubricant into the equation as all the relevant posts I have found on here seem to talk about the opposite problem of wheels coming off unexpectedly.

I have never had to deal with KO wheels before and I don't want to damage the car, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
SimonJM
New-tral

PostPost by: pamitchell » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:37 pm

Use a longer spanner or a piece of pipe as a lever and stand on the end while someone presses the brake and centers the steering wheel. The nuts sb torqued to 200 ft lbs.
Phil
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:57 pm

I had a lot of trouble with one nut on my JPS. I gave it a soak in WD40 overnight and then set about it with the long spanner and a fairly hefty sledge hammer...used gently. It soon yielded.

Get someone to hold the spanner on the nut though, as they can fly off and ruin your wheel arch.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:16 am

oh the joys of knock on wheels -----much prefer 4 bolts -- :shock: --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:00 am

I've put a piece of plywood on the outer side of the nut and whacked it real good with a heavy hammer head on, kinda like thumping on the top of a tight jar lid. It helped, I did finally get my nuts off, it gives the threads a good lateral jolt.
If your wrench is fitting snug on the nut, don't be afraid of using a soft metaled hammer to loosen.
You may need to get the appropriate socket and run to the local tire store and have them air wrench them free.
I think it's ok to MILDLY lube the threads, making sure the knockoffs are tight is the critical thing, I check them monthly when using the car regularly.
I've twice noticed one of them a little loose on the +2 after the car had been sitting for weeks?
I think the gas gnome sneaks into the garage, takes some fuel from my tank and then lightly loosens one wheel on his way out...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:20 am

1964 S1 wrote: I've twice noticed one of them a little loose on the +2 after the car had been sitting for weeks?
I think the gas gnome sneaks into the garage, takes some fuel from my tank and then lightly loosens one wheel on his way out...

:D

Finally! It's explained....that's where my fuel goes...and yes...I have had a loose wheel every now and then....

I have Hex nuts on my +2 wheels. And while using the standard wheel nut spanner had great difficulty getting:

1. The nuts tight enough
2. Getting the wheel nuts off

Muchj hammering involvded, and a hope and prayer that they were tight enough.

About a month ago I bought a real long lever wheel nut spanner from twincamenging on ebay. The lever is just over a metre.

Since then, no problems.

Not much help with the eareed spinners, but have seen equvalent attachments on ebay that allow the use of levers or even torque wrenches with eared spinners.

Don't be afraid to use a hammer on them in the ways described by previous posters!

Best of luck with the car!

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:47 am

The trick is ...
When having to , or thinking to remove a knock on wheel , just minut after stop the car , untight the spinner(s) .
At this moment , they are hot enough ... After , when cold , it's a lot difficult . Because of metal dilatation .
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:07 am

I had the same thing a few years ago with my previous +2.

I got my Dad to swing on the long spanner while I stood on the brakes - the spanner slipped, my Dad took a dive and split his chin open on the wing! Ouch - sorry Dad.

I ended up going to Paul Mattys to buy some 3 eared spinners and got them to loosen the nuts so I could fit the spinners on their forecourt..

They came out with a spanner which was 7 feet long (!) and they came loose with a loud crack.

Only problem was, one of the spinners came loose on the way home. Fortunately without the wheel departing company.

Basically you need more torque i.e. longer spanner
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:33 pm

1964 S1 wrote:You may need to get the appropriate socket and run to the local tire store and have them air wrench them free.

Best of luck, the "Nader" nuts are octagonal.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robcall » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:50 pm

CBUEB1771 wrote:
1964 S1 wrote:You may need to get the appropriate socket and run to the local tire store and have them air wrench them free.

1/2" socket drive for octagonal nuts
http://www.britishwirewheel.com/knockoffs.htm
Nigel Robertson
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:05 pm

robcall wrote:
CBUEB1771 wrote:

1/2" socket drive for octagonal nuts
http://www.britishwirewheel.com/knockoffs.htm

MG octagon nuts are different size (larger I believe) than the Lotus Elan octagon nuts.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:22 pm

ahhh nuts--you get a hammer and beat on it like it owes you money ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonJM » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:01 pm

Thanks for all the advice, chaps. I have got the WD40 soaking-in as I type. As my wife's uncle is coming down tomorrow, I will stick him in the driver's seat with a beer and a tea-cosy over his head for brake pedal pushing duties. (The tea cosy is necessary as he always thinks he knows best - but rarely does.)

Is it no longer possible to add an avatar?
SimonJM
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:48 am

We gotta love us.
New owner asks what he thinks is a lame question about taking a wheel off an Elan.
Eleven responces from ten vintage members, and we're all right.
The car is that much of an enigma? Taking the wheels off?

Enigmatic Avatars, whole other problem, maybe you need more posts?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: freddy22112211 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:42 am

The original spanner is so weak it may deform and just turn on the nut. If you make one out of 1/2 inch thick steel plate as I did, this won't happen!
Gordon
freddy22112211
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: