Bling Springs

PostPost by: TomR » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:48 pm

I have been using some springs that might interest other people with too much money. Renton coil springs make Ti springs for non-automotive applications. It just happens that racing snowmobiles use 11" high, 1.9" ID springs in the 95 - 150 lb/in range - just right for a lightly modded Elan running adjustable perch front shocks. They are short and have fewer coils/length so the weight is unbelievable. I've had them for probably 5 years now with no sign of corrosion or cracking. I love them. Not cheap though.

If I use TTR front shocks I'll have to give them up for non-Ti 2.25" springs. Bummer.

link: http://www.rentoncoilspring.com/perform ... es_sts.cfm

Tom
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Tom, these springs are very interesting. At least from the point of view of being much less susceptible to buckling. Buckling will tend to induce high side loads on the damper shafts. Did you find any issues with clearance around the much larger OD compared to standard?
Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:16 am

No, they show no signs of rubbing anything. They aren't visually that much bigger but I didn't measure the difference. I was running a standard chassis and 5" knock-on Panasports with 175-60-13 tires. I haven't found a downside other than price, and being priced in dollars they would be a bargain for a visitor with room in his luggage and a couple hundred pounds to spare.

I got some 2-1/4" shocks & springs with my TTR chassis last summer but they weigh so much more than the 1.9" AVO / Ti springs it's going to be hard to change.

Tom
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: