Canley uprights

PostPost by: TomR » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Thanks for the info guys! It is really good to have the story- I wish the Canley folks just told me the same thing they told you.

Tom
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:45 pm

SimonH wrote:I looked into this a while ago.

Spyder offer the uprights to take a normal ball joint, as per the Zetec conversion. Unfortunately it then means going over to 4 stud hubs as they dont do them to fit the Lotus wheels. It works out very expensive as it then needs new calipers, discs and then all the rear hubs to match.

I was talking to Andy Widnall at Donnington. He says Spyder hope to have knock-on wheels/hubs available for the ball-jointed uprights soon.

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Sean Murray wrote:I was talking to Andy Widnall at Donnington. He says Spyder hope to have knock-on wheels/hubs available for the ball-jointed uprights soon

That would be good. Did Andy say he would let you know when or do you think its a case of watching their website?

Simon
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:15 pm

SimonH

That would be good. Did Andy say he would let you know when or do you think its a case of watching their website?

Simon

I'll be in ongoing contact with Andy, as my present project is a conversion to all 4 wheel Ford/Zetec brakes and fully ball-jointed front uprights. I'll post on progress.

Sean
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:33 am

When I enquired to Andy about the uprights, (thinking it would be a way to get a more modern bolt on and larger brakes, etc) he said they were designed for the +2 Zetec and were heavier than needed for a +0, in addition to being fairly dear.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:12 pm

That was the story I got also - they clearly discouraged me from using their uprights in non +2s.

I think the existing upright is fine except that I don't like the threaded section taking the side loads from the trunnion and I want to adjust caster. Given Canley's supply problem I think I'll engineer up a similar spherical jointed trunnion replacement.

Tom
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:24 am

So if the +2 conversion is too heavy, what does Andy use on his Zetec conversions for the baby Elan?

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chequeredflagracingjoe » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi what is Andy Widnall at Donningtons web site address? thanks Joe
Team owner
Chequered Flag Racing
Racing VARAs Fastest FP SPITFIRE
Soon to be racing a CP 1 Lotus Elan
WWW.chequeredflagracing.net
chequeredflagracingjoe
New-tral

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Do you mean Andy at Spyder? He's at www.spydercars.co.uk, all the other contact details are on the web site.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:09 pm

The only Zetec Elan conversion that I've seen that was partially done by Spyder & finished off by Mick Miller had Ford 4 stud alloys on all four corners.
That was due to the use of all the Sierra rear axle components.
The front end could have been the normal Triunph uprights or the Spyder uprights with bolt on wheels.
I didn't ask or look for myself.
I don't think that Spyder now actually do their Zetec conversions to Elans.
Love to hear from someone who has one though; if there is such a beast?
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:18 pm

John,

All Spyder (+2)Zetecs use the Ford type 4-stud wheels. I think Andy said knock -ons might be available soon, best to check.

There was a very well-built demonstration Zetec "Baby" Elan at the Lotus weekend in Donnington. It was built by a company other than Spyder, and seems to have used the Spyder components.

I'm sorry I didn't note their details of the company, but I'm sure if you contact Club Lotus, they could advise.

Sean
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:26 pm

Sean,

thanks for the info.
I didn't intend to hijack this thread on "uprights" but wanted to add the small bit of info that I had.
I have a Zetec Elan that I did myself. albeit with Elan/TTR suspension.
Did anyone take any pics of the engine bay on the demo Elan mentioned?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:44 pm

Looks like these are back in stock. Looking forward to trying them out.

Tom
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: