Small end bushings

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Anyone offer any advice/tips on the fitting of new small end bushings to the conrods? The bushings just arrived from Susan Millar are of a ''split'' type, with no oil holes etc. They are marked 'Ford'.
Where is the best position for the split / join? My guess would be the top (12 o'clock position on the rod) but I am not sure.
Are they glued in? If not what stops them from migrating out of the conrod?

Any help/suggestions welcome as I only want to do this once if I can.

8) Cheers..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:38 pm

Alex
All the rods I've seen run in the ali and don't have bushings?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:32 pm

Conrod bushings are normally pressed in with a special mandrel then placed
on a special machine to ream the bushes to a fine tolerance fit onto the piston pin or gudgeon. They will generally not move once installed, a small oil hole can be drilled prior to reaming.
CC
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for that. I left the rods with my engine machine shop to have the bushes pressed in and honed. Think this part best done with some experience. I will pick them up next week.

I had to have the block bored out to +040'' and new pistons supplied. The pistons in the engine were +020'' and brand new almost. Clearance was 012'' and the ring gaps were 28 thou on average. You can see daylight between the piston pin and the small end bush. And the sump leaks oil!! :cry:

I have never seen so many bodges on an engine ever. I am dreading starting to the head. It just goes on and on... The car by the way has an MOT till June 2008...

:evil: :evil: :evil:

I am one pi**ed off cookie
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: