Shocking Problem with Dampers

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:12 am

Well I have good news and bad news. The good news is that 4910 is finally running again 3 years after the flames took her down. All new wiring harness, six relays and eight fuses under the dash and most importantly a master shut off switch in the cockpit that I can reach. She ran strong and felt great on the short drive I took in the 40 degree temps.

The bad news is that the rear dampers are rock solid in rebound, almost as if it were minus 40 degrees. I didn't notice it until I drove it and it almost shook me to death. When I returned I pushed down on the rear of the body and the spring compresses fine and the damper is compliant, but then it stays down and takes about 45 seconds to fully rebound to normal ride height.

So the question is: Do I drive it and hope they loosen up, or do I have to pull them and send them to be rebuilt? Or is there a simpler fix I can do in the garage? Help!

Ross
Attachments
Elan S2 009.jpg and
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:36 am

I think I would be tempted to drive it a bit and Im sure they will loosen up ----mine did --my set were the opposite being stored for 20 years on the side they were very soft untill the air was worked out --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:32 pm

I agree, driving it may fix it.
Also, isn't the top threaded on the struts/shocks?
If so could a person remove the spring load, unscrew it, and put a proper lubricant in?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:13 am

OK Guys...I'm going to drive it as long as I don't shake anything loose. That is as soon as we get some dry roads here in Ski Country USA. We got another 5 inches last night. At this rate it will be May before I can find out if this works :? Anybody got a house with a 6 car garage for sale in the south?
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:59 am

Hiya
Given the temperature is you garage warm or cold? Just thinking it could be a case of cold oil in them being very viscous.
Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:55 am

its so cold here the cat broke when I put him out for 3 minutes ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: