Protech Shock Absorbers

PostPost by: Gopherit » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:44 am

Have any of you got comment on using Protech adjustable seat shock absorbers, front and rear?
I am about to redo all the suspension on my +2 and like what I have read and been told about their aluminium bodied types. However, I have heard there have possibly been problems with fitting their rear inserts and I am not sure whether they are made to prevent overdroop of the suspension (as per TTR Konis).

Have people used 1.9 or 2.25 ID springs on the front, and (for the road) what spring rates and free length? My feeling at the moment is for a spring rate of around 150 lb/in and probably a free length of about 12", fitted 8".

For the rear, to keep the spring rate balance in proportion this would mean 125 lb/in and, say, 14" free length. Obviously, if I fitted the Protech inserts I would fit adjustable spring seats and use 2.25" ID springs.

Your comments (ie Help!) gentlemen? :?:
Attachments
MSA-Norwich-141007.jpg and
It's not a rehearsal
Gopherit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi,

Cannot answer any of your specific questions but...

I put in Protechs (plus new springs supplied with them) in my front suspension about a year ago.

I'm very happy with them, and the fact that they are adjustable.

I use my +2 as a daily driver. And try and occasionally drive it as a Lotus should be. So the car has a varied road life.
I'd guess that I have about 10,000 miles on the Protechs.

One downside is that, as I do not have the metal cup sleeves that sometimes are present on Elan +2 front shock tops, the spring contorts and rubs off the middle threads of the shock....

So no threads higher up on the shock for adjsutment...

But if you adjusted that far all you'd see out the front is the sky!!

Best of luck with them,
Peter '73 +2S 130/5
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:04 pm

Talk to Tony Thompson - then make your decision.

Brian Clarke
(9172 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: