Front Suspension

PostPost by: RickPierce » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:37 am

I have just rebuilt the front end of my 70 Elan using all new parts. Now the problem, the caliper mounting faces do not line up parallel to the mounting bracket , the brake disc will interfere with the caliper and not turn. I have done this before with no problems so I must ce overlooking something. Its almost like the brake disc sits out to far. I have knock on wheels and replaced wheel bearings,ball joints, new shocks and new trunnions.
Ive tried tightening and loosning the bearings and slacked off all nuts and bolts to find the problem but nothing works.Help please.

lost in the garage
Rick Pierce
RickPierce
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:32 am

Hi Rick
It sounds like the inner race of the bearing isn't seated all the way, pull the hubs and reseat the bearing races and try it again.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:37 pm

garyeanderson wrote:Hi Rick
It sounds like the inner race of the bearing isn't seated all the way, pull the hubs and reseat the bearing races and try it again.

I can second that, since I just went through the same problem sequence. Make sure the seals at the inner side of the hub are installed correctly and fully seated, as well as seating the outer bearing races in the hub.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: