S4 suspension setup

PostPost by: fjbm » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:26 pm

Hello

I'm going to restore my Elan S4 FHC and I would like to know which suspension should I fit...

I'll buy Spyder's chassis and I was considering a Fast Road setup as I'm going to put in an engine with around 140 hp with 13x5 wheels (yokohama A032R??? maybe???).

Can you please tell me which shocks, spring rates and tires should I consider so I can use the car every day and go home with a smile on my face?

I may consider also doing some track events...

Thanks
fjbm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:57 am

My car is about the setup you are talking about, but it is the original chassis. I went to 40% stiffer springs and Spax front shocks with Koni rear inserts since the Konis were what was available at the time. I also when to adjustable perches all around.

I think the spring rates are (from memory) 115lb/in front and 95 lb/in rear.

This gives a very nice ride on the stock wheels with crummy Michelin MX4s and a pretty decent ride with the Panasports and 175/60R13 A032R soft compounds. The Hard compound A032Rs never got up to temp in autocrosses, but were excellent on the track. The A032Rs are used for track and autocross as well as getting to the event, but the extra RPMs on the highway as well as the stick sidewalls make it not as nice for long tours.

Unfortunately the A032Rs are no longer available and there is almost nothing available to replace them.

Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fjbm » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:53 am

Hi there

Thank you for your help.

Which spring sizes are you using?

I was thinking about lowering the car 1".

Thanks
fjbm
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: