Steering Rack Mounting

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:49 pm

Does anyone know how to arrive at the required thickness of shims under the rack mounts ? Workshop manual says chassis is stamped ex factory - my shims are extremely rusty and the Lotus replacement chassis does not appear to be stamped - any ideas ?
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:56 pm

There are lots of threads on here from the past years re.setting the shims for bump steer,the workshop manual is a good place to start

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:05 pm

Try the Technical Tips / Steering section, accesible from the Home page

BARNEY
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks John and Barney for steering me in the right direction on this topic. Having just discovered the site I did not appreciate the volume of information already available!
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steve71 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:37 am

I'd suggest a look at this thread which talks about using a laser pointer and mirror to check bump steer. http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2632 and check the web page mentioned www.advancedracing.com for a picture of the setup on the disc. Didn't use anything fancy like the setup in the link. Just a piece of mirror taped to the disc and pointer clamped to a stepladder as described in the thread. I've used this method and it worked well.
Steve.
'71 Sprint DHC
steve71
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: