rear suspension damping

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:21 am

there are limits to load capacity of these cars affecting the handling ---perhaps you have surpassed them ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:25 am

I have not measured the springs yet but I think the suspension travel has become less restrictive since I have changed form the donuts to a full C.V. solid drive shaft setup and therefore a need for a slightly stiffer spring???
However at the end of the day you have to test drive the car in order to find out of changes you have made work or not and in my case I am very happy with the outcome.
Next time I would take the suspension apart I would consider making the suspension fully adjustable but for the interim this works just fine.
cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:00 pm

Simple, economical change => problem fixed => :D
A good outcome in Lotus-land.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gopherit » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:48 pm

MintSprint wrote:Be careful!!

Elans/Plus 2's do tend to feel a little soft and under-damped at the rear end.

Increasing roll resistance at one end of a car - either by fitting stiffer springs or by fitting an anti-roll bar (AKA sway bar, for our american cousins) increases weight transfer at that corner, which consequently decreases the grip.

In other words, increasing front roll resistance tends to increase understeer, whilst increasing rear roll resistance (as you are suggesting) tends to increase oversteer, which is not a good thing!

I hope I remember my physics correctly - surely fitting stiifer springs or an anti-roll bar will DECREASE weight transfer at the corner concerned. This then agrees with the results mentioned in this thread whereby increased stiffness at the front promotes understeer and increased roll stiffness at the rear promotes oversteer (aka "drifting" in modernspeak!).
It's not a rehearsal
Gopherit
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: