Colin Chapman signature steering wheel

PostPost by: andrewdmoore » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:45 pm

My Sprint doesn't have one, dont know why - maybe there wasn't one in the parts bin when the car was built.

Has anyone dabbled with 'adding' a signature to the wheel by tracing the signature and etching it on then filling it with black paint? There were rumours of an original stamp existing in Scotland, does anyone know any more info on this?

Thanks, Andrew
andrewdmoore
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MikeC » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:52 pm

There is a stamp in the UK, made in the early 1990s for a batch of 50 new wheels. I think I know where it is now, but don't think you're likely to get your hands on it.

AFAIK it was only the later S3 and early S4 Elans that had a signature. The later S4 and all Sprints had a different wheel with changed boss and plastic rim covering instead of leather. The signature rims come up on ebay occasionaly, expect to pay ?300 plus. Or, if 50 Elan owners put down ?500 each I'm sure I could interest the current owner of the tooling in making another batch of new wheels.

I've got a close-up photo of the signature if it's any help.

Mike
MikeC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:43 pm

My January, '72 build Sprint has the signature wheel. I acquired the car in 1978 and although I'm the third owner, I have many, many reciepts and none show a purchase for the wheel. Doesn't mean it couldn't have been added sometime before me, but the evidence points to the wheel being original to the car.

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:57 pm

Just to add a bit more info' on the steering wheel thing.
A couple of years ago I sold a plastic covered rim wheel with Chapman signature at the Stonliegh parts fair. I'm fairly sure it originated from an S3 Coupe. The centre boss was missing.
If you can get hold of that stamp or copy that signature it's as good as printing money :lol:
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:23 pm

All Sprints had signature steering wheels.

Some of the earlier Sprints had the S4 wheel boss with the slightly more raised wheel boss/horn fitting. As Mike says, the normal Sprint wheel had the flatter boss as well as leather finger tabs at the end of each spoke.

In the late 60's/early 70's changing a standard steering wheel on a car for a sportier after-market version was very popular. In the UK no young, self respecting Mini owner would drive without a Les Leston, Paddy Hopkirk, Moto Lita or similar thick rimmed, smaller diameter wheel fitted. I guess this applied to quite a number of Elan owners too, since the original steering wheels are now so highly sought.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:49 pm

Here are the two types of Chapman wheels both were originally withplastic rims but were recovered with leather
Attachments
sprint wheel (Large).jpg and
chapman wheel (Large).JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:18 pm

I would like to bring this topic back up. I have come across a very well restored 73 Sprint which seems to have the proper Steering Wheel with the flatter boss, but no Chapman Signature on it. Is there any conclusive knowledge if this is original or not?
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:24 pm

Jolly

Conclusive knowledge? Lotus? :)

As I said in my earlier post to this thread, as far as I am aware all Sprints had the signature wheel fitted as standard. I have not come across any that were fitted with the correct wheel without the signature.

It is conceivable that Lotus had a stock of Elan wheels without the signature for spares, though I would have thought that the signature would have been stamped on the wheel as part of the manufacturing process. I have the name of the manufacturer, but not to hand. Perhaps they made some up to the Elan pattern and sold them to retailers, without the signature.

In John Bolster's Autosport road test of KAH 604L dated 8 Feb 73, the photo shows the signature clearly. That would have been one of the last cars off the production line.

Not sure what the case was with the Europa or Seven steering wheel. May be a clue there? Any one know?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:28 pm

Tim, Thanks :)

Well I know, conclusive knowledge with regard to a Classic Lotus is, well, not easy to achieve.
So it may be that the steering wheel on the car I am eyeballing is a repro item...
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:44 pm

Stuart
Thanks but that didn't work but here's one I prepared earlier (as they say on blue peter)

John :wink:
Attachments
colin chapman.jpg and
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Sorry once more,just took me an hour almost to download this picture but with 1024x900 pixels the signature is not very clear

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:33 am

My J.P.S. Europa had the flatter type wheel with no C.C. signature and was original, I don't think any Europa's had the signed wheel.
Attachments
jps s.wheel.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:35 am

john.p.clegg wrote:Sorry once more,just took me an hour almost to download this picture

I think its time you got broadband john
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:46 am

I have got broadband,what I haven't got is IT skills.....

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: r.agnew » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:20 am

What about this on Ebay recently , went for ?361!! What was this fitted to originally ??
Attachments
Wheel3.jpg and
Wheel2.jpg and
Wheel1.jpg and
r.agnew
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: