Lotus Elan

Right Angle Drive

PostPost by: brassrngfm » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:37 pm

Lotus Fiends -
My speedo jammed and I bet my next paycheck that the right angle drive has perished on my 65 S2. I've heard horror stories about cheap Chinese imports being unloaded on eBay, so am willing to buy used. Are the threaded ends the same as on any other British car? MGB, TR???
What's the price these days from Bean or English suppliers (I live in Switz and go to UK a lot on business)

Thanks
Paul Zimmerman
026/4600
brassrngfm
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 104
Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:52 pm

You could have it refurbed by Speedycables

Abercrave Swansea SA9 1SQ
Tel: +44 (0)1639 732213 & (0)1639 732299 Fax: +44 (0)1639 732238
Email:- [email protected] or [email protected]
User avatar
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 19 Oct 2003
Location: Biggin on the Bump. UK

PostPost by: tower of strength » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:52 pm

Try Rimmer brothers, I'm sure its a Triumph part. The one on my old Spitfire looked suspiciously similar to the one on the Elan! Could be the halucinogenic effects of sniffing resin fumes though!!

Part Number 120694
Description SPEEDO ANGLE DRIVE
Retail Price ?38.19 inc. VAT (?32.50 exc. VAT)
Exchange
Surcharge None
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/rim ... singlerail

hope this helps

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Location: Newnham, Northamptonshire

PostPost by: chrishewett » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:53 am

It's worth putting a new cable on at the same time. I didn't and the old cable ruined the new drive.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 472
Joined: 06 Oct 2003
Location: Lincolnshire

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:46 pm

My speedometer was bouncing around wildly for awhile. I replaced the cable and it continued to bounce around, so I was planning to pull it and send it off to be refurbed. What's a right angle drive? Maybe that's what I need to replace. Thanks. Dan 70 S4 SE
User avatar
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:03 pm

collins_dan wrote: What's a right angle drive?


Its a small gearbox that changes the direction of drive, check that your cable runs as stright as possible with no kinks or sharp curves.
Attachments
angled speedo drive.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
User avatar
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3655
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Location: U.K.

PostPost by: mopho » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:43 pm

tower of strength wrote:Try Rimmer brothers, I'm sure its a Triumph part. The one on my old Spitfire looked suspiciously similar to the one on the Elan! Could be the halucinogenic effects of sniffing resin fumes though!!

Part Number 120694
Description SPEEDO ANGLE DRIVE
Retail Price ?38.19 inc. VAT (?32.50 exc. VAT)
Exchange
Surcharge None
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/rim ... singlerail

hope this helps

Mark


Can anyone confirm that this is the same one?
This costs about a third of what I recently had to pay for one (which already broke because it seems the problem was with the speedo not the drive)
67 Elan S3
04 Caterham 7 Superlight R
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 203
Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:28 pm

Where is it located? Where the cable goes into the gearbox? I don't recall coming across one when I put the new cable in. Dan
User avatar
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD

PostPost by: tower of strength » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:57 pm

mopho wrote:
tower of strength wrote:Try Rimmer brothers, I'm sure its a Triumph part. The one on my old Spitfire looked suspiciously similar to the one on the Elan! Could be the halucinogenic effects of sniffing resin fumes though!!

Part Number 120694
Description SPEEDO ANGLE DRIVE
Retail Price ?38.19 inc. VAT (?32.50 exc. VAT)
Exchange
Surcharge None
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/rim ... singlerail

hope this helps

Mark


Can anyone confirm that this is the same one?
This costs about a third of what I recently had to pay for one (which already broke because it seems the problem was with the speedo not the drive)


right now, I cant confirm, but some where in the pit that I call my garage, I have a Spitfire one, I will try and find it and compare to the picture above, (still not lifted the body of the plus 2 yet!!

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Location: Newnham, Northamptonshire

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:29 pm

collins_dan wrote:Where is it located? Where the cable goes into the gearbox?


Yes, that is correct, it goes onto the gearbox so the cable does not have to
make a 90 degree change of direction.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
User avatar
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3655
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Location: U.K.

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:53 pm

I just pulled mine off and it looks just like this one. The only difference is that the rod/cable that goes into the gearbox appears to be completely sheared off. I'll buy the new part. Do you think that I am going to have a problem with inserting it, or has the other rod/cable likely just disintegrated inside the gearbox. Thanks. Dan
User avatar
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:13 pm

collins_dan wrote: the rod/cable that goes into the gearbox appears to be completely sheared off. I'll buy the new part. Do you think that I am going to have a problem with inserting it, or has the other rod/cable likely just disintegrated inside the gearbox. Thanks. Dan


I think you will have to remove the speedo drive gear to either take out the old piece or replace the drive gear, if you replace the drive gear note the colour of the teeth (different colour is different number of teeth)
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
User avatar
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3655
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Location: U.K.

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:42 pm

Having spent most of the weekend clearing the garage to make room for the plus 2, I found the Triumph angle drive, and to me it looks identical to the one posted above, albeit with a brass rather than chrome ferrule.

Hope this is of help and interest

Regards Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Location: Newnham, Northamptonshire

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:00 am

I spent some time under the car this weekend staring and probbing into the drive gear trying to get the missing rod out. No luck. Can I unscrew the bolt above and just remove the whole drive gear for easier access, or will all the transmission oil pour out? Thanks. Dan
User avatar
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:48 am

collins_dan wrote:Can I unscrew the bolt above and just remove the whole drive gear for easier access, or will all the transmission oil pour out? Thanks. Dan


The bolt holds the drive carrier in by the two pronged bracket, the carrier is a push in fit with an "O" ring on it and can be difficult to get out, often breaking the flange if levered out with a couple of screwdrivers.
You can try removing the angle drive, remove the bolt and bracket, refit the angle drive and try to pull out the carrier by pulling on the angle drive.
Once out the drive gear is just pushed into the carrier.
Some oil will come out but not the whole lot (this can also depend on the angle you have the car jacked up too.
Good Luck.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
User avatar
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3655
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Location: U.K.
Next

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests