Rear wheel bearing problem - again, apparently

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:38 pm

Last Easter, I replaced rear suspension with TTR's fast road springs and dampers, plus uprated poly bushes all over. Also upper diff mounts, diff torque rod bushes.

I replaced the rotoflexes with solid inner and outer cv joints/shafts.
I also replaced inner and outer wheel bearings.

Before the changes, the inner bearings seemed fine at the time, but not the outer. I replaced both sides to give me a common starting point.

I've done less than 300 miles and now there's play on the offside hub.
Tightening the hub nut does nothing. It's at 120 lbs foot, and the bearings are not adjustable anyway.

The play certainly seems to be within the hub.

Apart from checking the keyway is stopping the hub tightening up correctly, can only think I've either a freak offside rear bearing(s) or a totally freaked hub.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:31 pm

Stuart,

I dont know whether you noticed I did the rear adjustable platform thing about a month ago and did all the bearings (had a thread going about rear bearings). I posted my concerns and I changed a set that had done very little mileage becausue of some play. Fitted new SKF and ended up with some slight play again. I am running with it. Are you sure it is in the outside bearing. I am a bit paranoid with the inner ones. If you feel a brand new one there is always quite a bit of end float. A lot more than the outer. I dont know much about bearing (fit and forget usually) but I suspect some odd clearance issue as I have had a few problems over the years. No bad shafts or casing but new bearing with play!!

I thought I had a loose hub several years ago and did all the TTR lapping in thing with the paste and cut the roll pin down etc. That turned out to be an inner bearing with 100 miles on with play. Upon inspection found no damage to the bearing. I have begun to dislike these rear wheel bearing as it only seems that I have this problem. I am interested to know your finding if/when you pull it apart. I do believe there are a lot of Elans and plus two's running about with wheel bearings with play.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:06 am

Just re-read my post:

"Before the changes, the inner bearings seemed fine at the time, but not the outer. I replaced both sides to give me a common starting point."

This should have been:

Before the changes, the nearside bearings seemed fine at the time, but not the offside. I replaced both sides to give me a common starting point.

Since it's only the offside that appears to have gone again, surely it's more than coincidence? Could it be something other than brearings?

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:20 am

Mike,

I think this rear 'wheel bearing' problem (if that's what it is) is going to be a problem that both of us will have to solve. I've got to solve it, and if you go the Minilite route, you will probably have to, too.

There are two common clearance issues with the 5 x 13 Minilites on the baby Elan.

The first is the tyre wall rubbing against the lip of the inner rear wheelarch. This is generally easily solved.

The second is the inside of the rear rim rubbing against the bolts and/or shoulder of the outer wishbones.

Even with everything brand spanking new, I still had to grind quite a lot off both sides. Had to make several attempts but I finally cured it. Or so I thought.

However, now that there's play in the offside hub, under hard left cornering the hub is moving in relation to the wishbone, and it's rubbing again!

This is something I've got to solve pronto.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:11 am

Here's a photo showing the problem. The white is actually white paint that I applied to the inside of the Minilte rim.

Under reasonably hard left hand cornering, it seems the play in the hub is enough to bring the rim into contact with the wishbone.

I have already ground off part of the bolt head and wishbone shoulder.

Unless anyone can suggest otherwise, I think I'm going to have to find another hub/rear strut assembly (ouch!).

Couldn't have happened at the end of the summer, could it?

Regards,
Stuart.
Attachments
Minilite rubbing wishbone 005.jpg and
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:28 am

Stuart

Even without play in the rear bearings I get around 3mm deflection of the wheel rim compared to the wishbones and bolts under hard cornering on the track.

I just kept carefully putting a radius on the wishbone shoulder and bolt heads that matched the wheel inside rim radius until I had sufficient clearance to stop them touching under hard cornering.

One possibility for the bearing play you have is the circlip coming loose on the hub shaft. This locates the shaft to the inner bearing and provides the positive location of the shaft from end float. I have had this push out of its grove on one occassion and this resulted in excessive end float. If the hub is moving in under load due to excessive end float it will hit the wishbone as the inside of the wheel ha a taper on it generally.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:17 pm

Rohan,

Many thanks. I was hoping you or one of the other racers would jump in with comments.

Looks like I better strip down that corner and see what we find.
Will report back.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: