Rear Axle

PostPost by: jk952 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi Ian,
I scanned a sketch and sent to your email address....
Cheers, Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:41 pm

The CAD modeling is almost complete and everything seems to work out quite well. This will be a light and strong system that will not be 'upset' by the large amout of 'droop' angle.

The vendors have all been selected and the prototype set of joints and boots have been ordered. Once the prototype set has been completed and tested I will be happy to make a few sets for others.
Attachments
shaft assembly.jpg and
Here is the CAD model of the Assembly.
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:45 pm

I guess I should mention that the Output Shaft and the Stub Axle are only shown for information. At this time I only plan on building a direct replacement for the Rotoflax system. Once that is complete and tested I may look at producing a more complete set-up which replaces the Output Shafts and the Stub Axles. One would have an integral Housing and the other a bolt on Housing.

All the parts will be made in heat treated 4340, and finished with a black oxide treatment.

Ian
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:42 pm

[quote="ianashdown"]The CAD modeling is almost complete and everything seems to work out quite well. This will be a light and strong system that will not be 'upset' by the large amout of 'droop' angle.

The vendors have all been selected and the prototype set of joints and boots have been ordered. Once the prototype set has been completed and tested I will be happy to make a few sets for others.[/quote]

Ian

Do you envisage that it will be necessary to remove the wishbone bolts when installing the initial design of your conversion? I suppose what I am asking is, are the fixings that go through the spider lugs, studs or removable bolts?

I know I should not jump to conclusions but looking at your rendering of the assembly the CV joints appear to be very compact axially, I know part of the CV bulk maybe in the boot but even so they look very thin.

Ian Phillips
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:38 am

Hi,

It will not be necessary to un-bolt the wishbone when fitting my Driveshaft assembly, but it does use studs.

The joint is designed at the moment at 30mm, but this is subject to review after some use. Usually examining the wear pattern in the housing can give you a good indication of the amount of the joint actually in use during normal use. I don't think I can narrow them up much if any. About half of the housing is within the Boot.

Ian
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:01 am

[quote="ianashdown"]Hi,

It will [u]not[/u] be necessary to un-bolt the wishbone when fitting my Driveshaft assembly, but it does use studs.

The joint is designed at the moment at 30mm, but this is subject to review after some use. Usually examining the wear pattern in the housing can give you a good indication of the amount of the joint actually in use during normal use. I don't think I can narrow them up much if any. About half of the housing is within the Boot.

Ian[/quote]

Ian

Is the 30mm you refer to the plunge length? and if so is that each end?

The impression I get from your drawing is that the joints are very compact which allows you to maximise the floating shaft length to get the deflection angles as low as they can be.

Ian
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi,
The 30mm is the width of the housing, which I suppose is the theoretical plunge linit. In reality it a little less than that and it becomes progressively less as the angle increases. As designed I could easily increase the width if necessary, but I think it'll be OK as is.

Ian
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: