Steering rack mounting and wheel balance

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Sun Jul 14, 2024 1:30 pm

Just discovered a marked improvement in my +2's sensitivity to front wheel imbalance. I had always tightened my steering rack bolts to "tight enough " using a standard spanner.

Looking at my rack the other day, I noticed red marking around the rack u-mounts - a sure sign of movement. I couldn't find a torque setting for the mounting nuts, so looked up the generic setting for unf nuts of that size - about 20 ft-lbs.

I applied my torque spanner to the nuts, and found I could tighten them about 1 extra turn, compressing the mountings further.

The effect has been to reduce steering wheel vibration at motorway speeds, so definitely worth checking if you have any balance issues.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:53 pm

That's interesting. I have a bit of vibration around 70mph so I'll check it out next time I'm underneath.
Thanks
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:37 pm

Hi all
That sound feasible especially if the tie rods are at different lengths, it is important to adjust toe with movement to both tie rods
John
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:13 pm

Obviously tie rods and tracking need to be correct, however the OP was refering to the clamps that hold the rack to the chassis.

The nuts on the rack clamps are meant to be tight so that the clamp metalwork is rigidly fastened to the chassis, the rack is then gripped in the rubber bushes, the fact that the red chassis paint (or maybe iron oxide) was visible indicates the clamps were loose and fretting on the chassis.

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: