Cpl2 Cams On Stromberg Head

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:31 am

I have just had CPL2 cams fitted to the Stromberg head on my +2 twin cam (along with new valves, 3 angle seats and guides).

CPL2 cams are one step up from the standard cams you get - roughly equivalent to Sprint cams.

I am still running the head in, but first impressions are good - definitely more zip from the engine. Idling is not quite as good however, and there is some hunting, even if I adjust the mixture on the carbs (an involved business, as I have no bottom adjustment on the main jets - I have to get the needles out and adjust them directly).

I have kept the standard valve timing, although the camshaft sprocket marks are both sitting slightly low against the head at TDC (about a quarter of one tooth).

I can live with it ( it sounds quite sexy!) but woundered if there was anything else to try.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:22 pm

I have a tool for adjusting the needle which I obtained via the Draper Tool catalogue a few years ago. I'm sure other automotive tool supplier produce them. If you can get hold of one this will make life easier for you.

Regarding the cams, a Stromberg SE twincam used D type cams which were later fitted to the Big Valve engine (ie Sprint spec Elan). My own engine has always been a bit lumpy on idle, nothing serious, and I have been lead to believe that this is normal for a Stromberg SE although I am happy to stand corrected on this point!

If this lumpyness is normal does anyone know why (Siamesed ports?) ?

Karl

S4 SE FHC
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:19 am

David,
I think you will find that the CPL2 is the same as the SE 'C' type camshaft, although in the Vizard book a distinction is made. It has the same timing as the standard cam, ie, 110 degrees, so the sprocket marks can be used but it might be worth checking the cam timing to be within a degree either way.
Roy
'65S2
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: