Removing / refitting Webers

PostPost by: Cadence » Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:06 am

Further to my recent post, I’m going to have a go at removing the type 31 carbs to drill a hole the rear inspection plates. (As used on later models)

This will hopefully cure the vacuum effect that’s likely causing fuel to drip when the engine is shut down after a spirited drive.

Both rear inspection plates have clear evidence of fuel leakage around their edges.

I’m no mechanic so have read the manual several times before starting the work

I had imagined that I’d remove and refit the carbs individually to get better access to the mounting cups / washers to ensure correct tightness.

The manual says remove the carbs ‘As an assembly, ensuring that the synchronising linkage between the two isn’t distorted’

Is that really necessary or am I creating new issues by attempting to split them on removal and refitting?

Thanks
Cadence
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:40 am

No, you need to take them off as a pair, linkage gets in the way. The mod now is as pic, pretty standard now. In my experience with the 31 it will never perform as you would like over stumble issue. Fundamental position of progression drillings simply wrong for a 1558 TwinCam, try by all means but not waste £££ on them.
Plate.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Cadence » Sun Oct 20, 2024 12:03 pm

Thank you for the feedback - I agree on further investment and figured drilling a couple of holes was FOC, so worth a shot.

Cheers
Cadence
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Oct 20, 2024 12:40 pm

Just a couple of tips:
1. DISCONNECT the battery BEFORE STARTING ON THE JOB. :roll:
2. Keep a FIRE EXTINGUISHER handy.
Last edited by types26/36 on Sun Oct 20, 2024 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Oct 20, 2024 1:22 pm

I always pull the webers and airbox back plate off as an assembly. Using a 1/4 flexible extension drive shaft and socket it is quick and easy to access the mounting nuts to remove and refit. Doing it this way also retains to the carb balance though I do always check it after reassembly.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Cadence » Sun Oct 20, 2024 1:29 pm

types26/36 wrote:Just a couple of tips:
1. DISCONNECT the battery BEFORE STARTING :roll:
2. Keep a FIRE EXTINGUISHER handy.

Very good point - I was planning to disconnect the battery but will now have the extinguisher to hand as well.

Thank you
Cadence
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Cadence » Sun Oct 20, 2024 1:31 pm

rgh0 wrote:I always pull the webers and airbox back plate off as an assembly. Using a 1/4 flexible extension drive shaft and socket it is quick and easy to access the mounting nuts to remove and refit. Doing it this way also retains to the carb balance though I do always check it after reassembly.

cheers
Rohan

Thanks for the tips Rohan. Confidence levels are rising :)
Cadence
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Sun Oct 20, 2024 5:22 pm

Agree with Rohan, the only way to keep the carb balance something like, but I also check mine as soon as it's back together and fired up, with a carb balancing tool, (synchrometer.).
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: