Weber DCOE 40 151 spindle binding

PostPost by: NTG999 » Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:47 pm

Hi, my Elan Sprint is just back on the road after a number of years. I have found revs would not return to idle especially when warm, on the bench removing the nuts on the end of the spindles (which were tight) appears to solve the issue, my question is how difficult/problematic is changing the bearings. They appear to be open with a small metal washer then the large outside washer?
My second question; the chokes have been machined out from 30mm to 33mm, would buying 33mm chokes give any real life improvement?
Nick
NTG999
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:30 pm

Ones I’ve seen have a leather ‘seal’ then a metal cover. I just replaced with sealed bearings.
Could be the bearings are tired- but the leather seal seemed to have a lot of resistance.
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:07 pm

In my experience they will bind if tight and need to only to be nipped up. (With washer keeping them in place).

I've also found that new throttle levers have slightly to much material where the idle screw touches them. Stopping cars returning to idle. So worth just filing a little off it. While y you're there.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:06 pm

Nick, just clarifying. Are your 151 Webers a modern new pair? Not sure they would have the leather components the original Webers had?

As a separate suggestion, my modern Weber 45’s were having a similar issue returning to idle. Really annoying as I am still trying to tune them accurately.

I installed this auxiliary return spring kit and it is a huge help. I haven’t had a chance to road test this improvement yet, but testing out the setup in the garage it looks like a good thing. I also figured having a backup return spring is kinda smart; have seen some exciting video moments with throttles jamming open on track. :D

Somewhere when I was looking this product over, maybe on an Alfa forum, I saw a comment saying a secondary return spring can be a tech requirement for some track applications. Made sense to me so giving it a try.

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/lt5000.htm

Same thing from a UK supplier

https://www.webcon.co.uk/products/10501 ... pring-kit/

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: