Fuel pipe connections.

PostPost by: persiflage » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:01 am

My recent acquisition of a Plus2 has introduced an unbearable smell of fuel to the garage ( and consequently the house) despite the Spyder vent mod. Slowly picking items to look at in an attempt to address the issue.

Has anyone come across these connections on fuel pipes ?
They appear to be crimped.
Any way to easily remove or do I destroy them in the process?
Attachments
IMG_1566.jpeg and
persiflage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:10 pm

While I have not seen that layout of braided hose before that runs above the carbs it appears to use the same style crimp fittings as used by the normal layout braided hose as OEM and now supplied by the usual suppliers that runs below the carbs. I never use this and replace with standard good quality modern fuel hose and clamps and reuse the original Tee. The problem is there is cheap hose under the braiding and you cannot tell if it is cracking until you get a major leak

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:50 pm

What is the Spyder mod? I assume your meaning the common breather mod to re-route to filler neck and reduce breather pipe diameter?

When do you get fuel smell?

A constant smell is normally from the fuel tank breathers. A smell for a day or two after using the car is normally fuel evaporating from the carbs.

I'd second replacing those hose with standard hose and tee's.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:14 pm

I haven't used the product myself, but perhaps using a dye and UV light test kit like this might help https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RLD4
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: persiflage » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:32 pm

The intention is to replace the carb feed pipes as I have had issues before with fuel smell (no noticeable moisture) coming from braided hose which disappeared with a hose change.
I’ve not seen that style of end fitting before on an old car, hence my question. I’m happy to destroy as the hose will be replaced.

The breather mod is as described but has been completed using brewers pipe which I’m not convinced is acceptable.
The smell certainly appears constant as the car has not been driven a great deal BUT on returning after almost three weeks holiday both the garage and house seemed relatively fume free … I can see this is going to drive me nuts :evil:
persiflage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:52 pm

I would destroy current hose and see if you can re-use it's parts.

A lot of hoses can be porous for fuel vapours, so it is important to use correct hose types when doing the mod and ensure good seals.

Personally I did the mod a long time ago, I don't get a noticeable fuel smell in the garage, except after run, but there is noticeable fuel smell in the boot. So I plan to redo it at some point but haven't gotten to it or selecting suitable hoses.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andywatts » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:41 pm

I also would strongly suspect the rubber hose under the braiding. Mine went last year even though the braided hose was (I thought) decent quality and only 3-4 years old. Of course the rest of the fuel line can also be suspect, and the fuel tank itself needs to be checked, as rust can cause pinhole leaks which then soak the felt.

My +2, with the breather mod you mention, gives no smell fo fuel in the garage.
andywatts
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: andywatts » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:43 pm

.... and just to answer your actual question! I suggest to use rubber hose which can be a push fit onto the carb fittings and the tee-piece, and secure with jubilee clips.
andywatts
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 pm

'Has anyone come across these connections on fuel pipes ?
They appear to be crimped.
Any way to easily remove or do I destroy them in the process?'

The braided fuel line that you show with the crimped end connectors were a common aftermarket part for years. I still use it on a couple of my cars. NB. The crimped ends are not crimping the hose tight onto the Dellorto fitting, just onto the hose. The fittings that Persi shows are just a tight push fit and will pull off without destroying them, but if they have been on there for years, and they probably have, they rarely seal again. To get them off, I undo the banjo bolt from each carb and wind the fitting off whilst holding the braided hose.

'While I have not seen that layout of braided hose before that runs above the carbs'

All late Sprints that were fitted with Dellorto carbs had the fuel line running from the fuel pump, underneath the carbs to the front, and then up over and along the top of the carbs. You cannot run the line any other way with the Dellorto fittings. It should also be noted, that back in the day, that fuel line was black nylon, just like the line from the tank to the pump, only it was a bit thicker from the pump to carbs.

Leslie
Attachments
P1010028(16).JPG and
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:18 am

I was just about to start a thread on the same subject!

I too have the same hose, been on there since 1990. Sniffing around the area doesn't reveal any petrol fumes but scare stories of hoses breaking down have made me consider changing them to R9 spec rubber. I do use an ethanol stabiliser which seems to work well though.

Thanks to Leslie for the information, although I didn't start the thread it was exactly what I wanted to know. Should the banjo unions for some reason be unserviceable there are reproductions available from Eurocarb:

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/product-category/dellorto-car-carburettors-parts/parts/dhla-parts/

Not sure about the pump end fitting though...
Attachments
hose.jpg and
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:36 am

I just love making up pipe runs!
Please get rid of those old pipes, no doubt with cracked rubber within.
I would use Earls, other brands are available, but they are really helpful.
There will no doubt be an adapter for the Dellortos, and the pipe fittings are available in black.
https://www.earls.co.uk/earls/hose/prolite.html
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: