Mx5 non return valve

PostPost by: JasonJ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:08 pm

IMG_0208.jpeg and
IMG_0209.jpeg and

Gents,

After noticing fuel on my rear wing, I done a little reading and noticed that some of you had fitted a non return valve off a Mazda MX5, I found thread and went and ordered a filler neck from a Mrk2 MX5,

I have noticed that the one I have received is different to the ones I noticed in pictures in previous post, although the principle is the same the make up of the flap on the valve is different.

I have attached pictures, can anyone explain if this is a later or early example, and any thought if it will be up to the task.

Regards
Jason
JasonJ
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:46 pm

If it works for an MX5 why would it not work on an Elan. The only difference you'll have is in plumbing it in, assuming it is different from a Mk1. Difficult to tell from the photo's but the function looks to be the same.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JasonJ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:10 pm

Hi Donels

Yeah I’m of the same mind, it is one large flapper rather than being split into 2 or 3 flaps.
I have already took the hack saw to it, it is the same diameter 45mm, just waiting on reducer.So will see how it goes.
I will orientate so the larger part of flapper is at the bottom as on the Masda.

Cheers
Jason
JasonJ
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

Yes make sure you fit it the right way around.
I fitted the original MX5 winged type one way version in my car. This later single flap type may work better than the original type because I have found that although it definitely stops any splashback up on to the wing it does make refueling the car a slower than normal process.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

The orientation may be more important than with the previous type as you need to mount it near the tank where the pipe runs more horizontally, to leave enough room for the filler nozzle.
The larger flap might work more effectively if it has gravity and the weight of the flap helping it to close rather than resisting it (I assume the large flap is spring loaded like the other version). I would put the pivot point at the top
Obviously the direction of flow has to be also correct.
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JasonJ » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

Correct, orientation is more important than other valves which could go anyway round the 360 degress ( not wrong way round :D )
Largest proportion of flap at bottom

Thanks for feedback
JasonJ
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: