Throttle Cable Through Bulkhead: How?

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:03 pm

Merry Christmas one and all!

I’ve never been thrilled with how the throttle cable on my RHD Weber S3 passes through the bulkhead. A crazy arrangement of threaded tubes and nuts which make it easy to adjust but really wobbly and not pretty. Here’s a photo and a brief YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/i31851MEkHs?si=-oDyEB6gF04hZHpO

Surely they are not supposed to be like this? Despite searching on here I couldn’t find any threads on this. Maybe a PO didn’t have enough cable sheath last time they changed it and so rigged this up?

Anyway despite looking like a dog’s breakfast it’s worked fine for 8 years until today when I copped a load of full throttle while blipping on a downshift. My heel and toeing is bad enough as it is without that kind of help :-)!

So what arrangement have others got please? Thanks in advance.

Best
Steve
Attachments
IMG_5532.jpeg and
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:08 am

For motorcycles, I have just bought a Venhill kit and made my own. That way I could get the lenght correct.

It appears to me that the inner cable on that one was too long.
I have also made a special spacer/guide on the lathe so things would be good.
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:10 am

Same here - buy the bits from Venhill and make your own. Very easy, quick and you can make it to your exact requirements.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:56 am

Mine's just like yours Steve. '72 Sprint.
Attachments
2022-11-29 12-32-30 Large.jpeg and
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:43 pm

I have always wondered why Lotus thought there was a need for much adjustment ar regards throttle cable length. The double stacked threaded fittings just add complication and push the cable upwards toward the bonnet so tightening the bend radius.

Over twenty years ago I remade my throttle cable by throwing away the outer and replacing it with a length of thick walled PTFE tube (see picture). Tube is 1/4" OD with 1/16" wall, metric equivalent would be 6mm x 1.5mm

There is some adjustment where the threaded fitting is fixed to the bulkhead with two nuts but I don't think I have ever changed it

Ian P
Attachments
110-1013_IMG.JPG and
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:18 pm

Just fiddling with this issue. So far I have a bunch of parts assembled that I think will work. Actually I presently have a similar setup using bicycle cable stuff, but I can’t figure out a suitable way of solidly attaching the cable sheath at both ends, and in my case this seems to cause some binding. I have added an auxiliary return spring to the rear Weber which has helped a lot,

Top tip. To find some really good photos on the forum, slowly type in “throttle” on the search bar found in the PHOTO GALLERY tab. Essentially where I got guidance and ideas.

Here is what I am going to try…

I am going to use a locally sourced generic motorcycle throttle cable.

The generic motorcycle cables have an integrated 90 degree bend (called a “noodle” by the bicycle techs). Hopefully this will work better than the collection of stuff I collected from various bicycle shops and suppliers. At any rate there are several threads showing pictures of a similar approach.

I my case the motorcycle cable sheath had threads compatible with a brass fitting I found in the plumbing section. I am planning to use a hollow screw to attach the fitting to the pedal box top.

The other end of the motorcycle cable has an integrated adjustment nipple, which will be way more accessible and not give any clearance issues.

HTH

Hopefully working in a few weeks here.
Attachments
3752A140-DE34-4476-B8E1-82C9E89D2BCF.jpeg and
This picture shows the motorcycle throttle cable sheath and integrated noodle. The plumbing fitting will be fastened to the pedal box and the cable sheath can be easily threaded to it. Glad I included my 11 1/2 EEE flipper for scale.
009D3136-5EA4-4E2D-A38F-CAEF330DED67.jpeg and
This shows the ~45” sheath length (including the noodle) of the motorcycle cable I purchased. If doing again I think 39” to 40” would fit a bit better in my LHD Federal Plus 2. The idea is the cable only has to make one lazy horizontal bend as the noodle takes care of the required elevation. Anyway, thinking the same basic idea should work for RHD, but required cable length May be different.
EB057978-7BB9-42B2-907E-9AD3217A059E.jpeg and
eBay listing for hollow screws. Will use these to attach the throttle cable to the pedal box.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: