Does a +2 not have a fuel filter?!

PostPost by: leedsj » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:29 am

Hi all,
In diagnosing my engine running lean gremlins I assumed that the modern alcohol mixed petrol was dissolving years of cruft in the fuel tank and gunking up the fuel filter. However I cannot find it, and the workshop manual does not mention!

Is this job undertaken by the fuel pump maybe? Or did Lotus just do without?!
Attachments
IMG_0055.jpg and
1974 +2S/130 JPS
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:46 am

I think they just relied on the strainers within the carb feed banjos but I have always put a cheap inline filter in the feed from the tank.

PS: your fuel pump should be tucked away beneath the carbs - it's a bitch to get to which is why I have always fitted and electric pump in the boot - this also fills the floats chambers quickly to avoid excessive cranking when the car's has been sitting for a while
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:26 am

If you have the original glass bowl mechanical fuel pump there a is removable fuel filter/strainer just under the glass bowl of the pump. In addition to this as Jon points out there are the strainers in the top of the carburettors against the connection banjos.
There was no other filters originally fitted and I have no additional filter on my car car but I guess it all depends on how clean the bottom of your fuel tank is?

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:59 pm

I put one of these in my fuel line many years ago:

https://www.burtonpower.com/alloy-fuel- ... ilter.html

They are rugged and haven't given me any trouble since. They just unscrew if you need to clean the sintered filter element, with a nice o-ring seal fitted if I remember.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: