DCOE gurgling noise

PostPost by: checkrail » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:14 pm

Hi all, I have replaced the 'P' clips on the back carb on my Plus 2 as both were loose and letting fuel into the airbox, sealing with Hylomar as shown in the Workshop Manual. After going for a fastish drive I still had fuel weeping underneath the airbox , when I removed it and started the engine it was leaking from no.4
When I switched off, the fuel was coming from up by the butterfly and there was a gurgling noise like pulling a sink plug out, this lasted nearly a minute and then the fuel stopped.
The floats are set correctly with newish needle valves and the car is running really well.

Any ideas, Thank you very much John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:41 pm

Hi John,
I am not sure that I can help you very much but you say the floats are set correctly.
I would prefer to measure the fuel level in each float chamber directly.
If you remove the round jet cover and then remove one of the main jet stacks in each carburettor you will be able to measure the level with a dip stick.
If you use a small diameter rod, maybe a toothpick, with a small torch you can see the moment that the stick touches the fuel.
My car runs well with the fuel 29mm below the top of the float chamber. Or as the rim of the jet cover is 16mm above that then a total of 45mm from there is about right. Sometimes it is more important that both levels are the same than the actual figure.
I use a vernier depth gauge for this because I have one but a stick is fine.
As DCOE`s evaporate fuel rapidly when the car is switched off it is important to take a measurement quite soon after running.
Best of luck
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:36 pm

Are the floats floating, ie are they punctured?
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:35 pm

Accelerator jet leaking?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:57 pm

Good one. That’s much more likely.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: checkrail » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:06 pm

Thanks chaps for all the suggestions I've been checking things again and there was what looked like a bad drilling inside the bottom of the needle valve, so changed it over.
Ran the engine up to temperature without the airbox and the back carb stayed dry, but I will be very surprised if it stays o.k.

John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: