New Mechanical Fuel Pump

PostPost by: 111Robin » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:28 pm

Craven wrote:Using copper core leads with this type of ignition module requires the inclusion of resistive plug caps. If you ran copper leads without on this type of module it can be damaged in milliseconds.
Resistive plug caps ensure the coil always sees a terminating load as the reflected high voltage spike without finds its way back to the module.
FWIW

That's not what Aldon told me exactly, they said copper leads can be used at the risk of damage. I know plenty who have run copper leads for years with these modules. My car runs perfectly in the garage, if the module was fried it wouldn't run at all.
111Robin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:43 pm

Trying to explain reflected waves in incorrectly terminated transmission lines would I’m afraid will fall on deaf ears.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:38 pm

I'm listening. Lots of curious people on this forum.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 111Robin » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:59 am

This came from Petronix in the US, same as the Aldon Ignitor.
'The reason for not recommending Solid Core wires with the Ignitor I has to do with voltage spikes, not EMI. The hall effect can be blown out by large voltage spikes and what seems to happen is that as solid core wires in particular get old they tend to leak voltage even more. When this happens they can seek a ground path that causes a high voltage spike and that can fry the hall effect sensor. It does not happen all the time, but it does happen. We see it predominantly in Industrial applications like Fork Lifts where they Never change the plug wires. We'll get a customer that tells us he has blown a couple of modules and after we tell him to change the plug wires to suppression, we don't get the call anymore.
It can happen with old crappy suppression wires as well but is much less likely and frequent."

I was using newly made copper core leads therefore the risk of damaging the module were minimal. As it is simply an electronic switch, if it fails then you have no ignition, there is nothing in-between .
111Robin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:09 am

snowyelan
You must ask yourself Why do resistive leads suppress interference, Why do resistive plug caps suppress radio interference. Why copper core leads do not. Get a good technical explanation from Google or the likes on how and why EMI is generated. You may be enlightened.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: