E10 fuel and fuel pump diaphragm

PostPost by: quaybook » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:14 am

Thanks your thoughts and info everyone.
My concern over the cork gasket to the fuel tank sender was not an urgent one, I was thinking through areas that I should keep an eye on or upgrade when the opportunity arises in view of the roll out of E10 fuel here in the Uk. Non cork gaskets are available for the fuel tank, so I’ve made a mental note to change the gasket if I have occasion to remove the fuel tank sometime in the future and to keep an eye out for leaks. The E10 roll out has caused me to change the rubber fuel lines on my Alfa and Westfield to ethanol resistant - they were over 10 years old and therefore due for renewal, but I probably would not have thought to do so if the E10 issue had not arisen.
I only use Super grade fuel in my Elan of course, but I’m not confident that Super fuels will remain as readily available in the future as they are now, particularly in rural areas. If sales fall, as they may well with electrification and the ability of all modern cars, even high performance ones, to run on lower octane fuel with only marginal loss or performance, finding Super on most forecourts may well become a thing of the past – it will be a purely commercial decision by the outlets themselves. So I’ve been thinking about how to future proof my older cars. I also think that E5 will be damaging incompatible materials, just more slowly than E10 will. So, as I say, it is about recognising the problem and making the changes to ethanol compatibility, not urgently, but as part of ongoing maintenance. I had heard that some Super fuels are still zero ethanol over much of the UK, but it appears to depend on the refinery that supplies your area not just the petrol brand, and in the South West where I live it all Super appears to be E5.
Thanks again, one and all.

Vernon
Elan S2 26/5614
Alfa Romeo Alfetta Berlina 1974
Westfield 7SE
quaybook
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: