Improved Weber linkage

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 pm

I’m not impressed with the standard throttle cable linkage to my Weber’s in my early plus 2. There seem to be plenty of options that look much better engineered but they all seem to be for two throttle cables. Has anyone located a linkage similar to the two cable ones provided by people such as Burton or Kelvedon, but with one cable?
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Check the one that 1Owner69 has
Also Sabbot made for his +2, though on Stromberg
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:15 pm

h20hamelan wrote:Check the one that 1Owner69 has

I have the same one and have put perhaps a week's worth of hours fiddling, cutting, fabbing, fussing, to finally get something that seems acceptable. So I caution anyone about that design. Yet, do not let me speak for 1Owner69--perhaps he will chime in on this. If my eyes do not deceive me he may have done at least a little fiddling with it. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:17 am

I used the TTR dual line

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 5.11.17 PM.jpg and

i too used some time. I am very happy, smooth and yes it does open fully.

IMG_5785.jpg and
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:43 am

The Magoletsi one is a proper engineering job with adustments for travel and gearing. I took a digital TTR one off to fit one.
Available in both single and dual cable.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:50 am

I think we have been here before, and quite recently......................D

Throttle linkage Feb 2011.jpg (14).JPG and

e linkage Feb 2011.jpg (14).JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
Throttle linkage Feb 2011.jpg (8).JPG and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:24 am

Lots of useful suggestions, but another question from me, how are the two cable kits installed at the pedal end. Does it involve removing the pedal box and modifying it?
I really don’t want to have to strip this out again, I’m trying to go forward with the rebuild not back, I’ve been at it now since 1986 and the end is in sight if I don’t keep undoing work I’ve already done!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:23 pm

I didn’t need to strip mine, had to drill a hole through body beside the other hole.
As I recall, the pedal was easy.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Terry Posma » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:22 am

Bigbaldybloke wrote:Lots of useful suggestions, but another question from me, how are the two cable kits installed at the pedal end. Does it involve removing the pedal box and modifying it?
I really don’t want to have to strip this out again, I’m trying to go forward with the rebuild not back, I’ve been at it now since 1986 and the end is in sight if I don’t keep undoing work I’ve already done!

I had to fabricate a small T peice for on the pedal side for the 2 wires.
Terry Posma
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:25 pm

Decision made, I’ve ordered a Mangoletsi single cable kit. From the comments made I’m aware it may take a bit of fettling to get it installed but happy enough to do that. Didn’t feel the need for a dual cable setup as it’s only for road use. Thanks all for the feedback.
PS big differences in price of the kit, one supplier was over double that of the one I bought which was not from a recognised Lotus parts supplier. Will post pictures when it’s all installed and working.
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:31 pm

I don’t know if you saw my earlier post on the Mangoletsi on a Weber Elan. But, it may answer some of the questions on a way to make it work without modifying the head inlet webs.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=48415&p=350519&hilit=+Mangoletsi+you#p350519

I still prefer the Mangoletsi to the TTR system, but the TTR is certainly more readily installed. The Mangoletsi allows me to drive with regular shoes as I have it adjusted so I don’t have to push the pedal that far to achieve WOT. But, still can modulate the pedal for lesser throttle positions.

I believe any of the dual cable systems (Mangoletsi, TTR, ..) will work with one cable. I really didn’t see the need to bother with dual cables . I thought it highly unlikely that the single cable is going to snap.
Perhaps in a racing situation with abusive WOT on/off driving wherein the cable is repeatedly over tensioned? But, my cable never gets into that over-tensioned state. Much neater with one cable and less complication.

IMG_7696.jpeg and
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:38 pm

Thanks, I did read your post and the detail in it convinced me that going the Mangoletsi route was the way to go as the problem areas were known and the fixes well detailed. I’ve never seen a manufacturer fit dual cables so with the limited mileage I will be doing single cable was a no brainer.
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:21 am

Good decision. I have a Zetec Elan with 180 plus bhp and it was difficult to drive in the wet or damp with the TTR one. The Mangoletsi one even has a spare little bushes pack and Allen key. The adjustment is great allowing you to have a longer progressive pedal to drive with more finesse. Only down side is it helps you find any little of slow running jet stumble in the acceleration. :shock:
I lost my mech' when I went to bike carbs but managed to bring back my pedal stroke by mods to the pedal fulcrum point through the fibre glass and on the anchor point. Also being a bike set up having a return cable mech', I added a second cable and sping loading to get a very nice controllable pedal that comes back to closed properly.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:33 am

Bigbaldybloke wrote:Thanks, I did read your post and the detail in it convinced me that going the Mangoletsi route was the way to go as the problem areas were known and the fixes well detailed. I’ve never seen a manufacturer fit dual cables so with the limited mileage I will be doing single cable was a no brainer.

I have never understood the 'twin throttle cable' business. It always seemed like a failure of design if two cables were needed. I am sure Colin wouldn't have approved.

I have the TTR mechanism on the Elan I race(d). It is built like a brick outhouse, and IMO not very elegant. I ended up chopping bits of unnecessary metal off the main support bracket, mainly because it looked so bad. I raced using it with a single cable, and have never had an issue.

On my roadgoing Elan, I have a 'Timavo' linkage which I think is a far better design. Unfortunately Timavo are long gone, but there are CAD files of the design for anyone who wants to give it a go.

https://grabcad.com/library/timavo-linkage-for-weber-dcoe-carburettor-1
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:05 am

I added 3 areas of reinforcement, plate below and above where wire goes through body and 2 stanctions off thermostat housing.

This takes the flex out, straight run from thermostat and dual lines with the provided strong springs works great!

Mine is smooth :wink:
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: