+2 Fuel tank breather

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:08 pm

I had difficulty using the TPV6. I used one on either side of the tank. I could not get the tank filled. It appeared that the valve would not open to atmosphere. I scrapped them and used hoses run from each vent to the opposite side through the body. I used vents with rollover protection. I assume a ball. It has been quit some time since I did that. Memory has faded.
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:11 pm

I fear someone gave you poor advice regarding TPVs. They do open to atmosphere but only at a set pressure.
A TPV is designed to replace air into the tank as fuel is used, and completely shut down in a roll situation. It is designed to maintain a set pressure that might be attained when a car is standing in the sun, so it is completely useless in venting a tank being filled.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Nickp » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:24 am

I have done all of what you are thinking of doing and I still got a bad petrol smell when the car was in my garage.I tried to change the petrol cap seal but broke the pin pedestal while doing it.
So bought a new cap from the original makers of the cap.Problem solved no smell at all.
Nickp
New-tral

PostPost by: DJW » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:35 am

Answering OP’s question re filling above half way in the tank. I have the mods on my car ( installed by previous owner) and have also installed the MX5 one. Once I get above half way I often have to either slow the flow of petrol from the pump or stop every now and again to let the fill catch up. Not perfect but not the end of the world. Gives more time for other drivers to admire your car ;)

The MX5 mod works a treat by the way. Before that I often had petrol over the rear wing from spirited driving. Now there is none :)
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:45 am

Thanks DJW, it is the speed of filling the last half I am really interested in.

I shall continue with my plan and give it a try. If it progressively slows down, then I will just live with it!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus 50 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:55 pm

I met a guy at a British Car day who had these in his cap. Problem solved
Attachments
CAPLUGS PB-2.jpg and
Lotus 50
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lomh 13 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:51 pm

Hello
why don't use activated carbon filter on both pipe under the car ?
lomh 13
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:21 am

I've modified my +2 breather system connecting both tank vents together with a 4 way connector in the middle. One 5/8 diameter tube to the filler neck and a small 4mm vent tube routed through the old vent pipe to exit underneath the car. The only problem I have is that during the second half of filling the air coming out of the breather in the neck causes a spray of fuel that wets the body around the filler. I did cure the fuel smell in the car and in the garage. ANDU
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:16 am

andyhodg wrote:I've modified my +2 breather system connecting both tank vents together with a 4 way connector in the middle. One 5/8 diameter tube to the filler neck and a small 4mm vent tube routed through the old vent pipe to exit underneath the car. The only problem I have is that during the second half of filling the air coming out of the breather in the neck causes a spray of fuel that wets the body around the filler. I did cure the fuel smell in the car and in the garage. ANDU

My setup is like Andy describes above. The second half of a fill up has to be done at about half speed to prevent fuel spitting, but in practice it is not a big deal. I find it best to only fill to just below the vent tube level to prevent fuel slopping out the cap when the car is parked in the sun.

I found the smaller diameter overhead vent line really reduces transient fuel odours. In one of the previous threads someone suggested that the stock hose diameter might be setting up a vapour siphon; as the heavier fuel vapour falls downward more fuel evaporates and is siphoned to the floor. The additional restriction of the smaller diameter hose (also fitted inside the usual larger overhead hose) seems to prevent setting up this siphon action.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:43 am

Many cars use carbon vent canisters ?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:22 am

Many do, yes, but the better ones use a pressure relief valve - the TVP talked about earlier.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:48 pm

So a pressure relief valve, into a canister. As one can not predict (sort of) when a car needs to fart.
I think modern cars have sensors controlling valves, as opposed to antique pressure relief valves.

http://old.attwoodmarine.com/store/prod ... Straight01

Not sure if carbon would work, so you would most likely still get some fumes. Not as bad as it wouldn't be open fuel venting to the bedroom.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:13 pm

A TVP actually allows, indeed, it encourages pressure to build up in a fuel tank on the basis that pressure rise in a fuel tank in most daily circumstances is not a problem - it will rise during the day and fall during the night. So just leave the pressure. It will decrease as one drives anyway. And when this pressure is exhausted, the TVP allows air into the tank. And if the car is in a roll, the TVP shuts completely. It is a very clever deign...

OK, if you are in direct tropical sun, the pressure might get too much, so the TVP will then allow the tank to fart, but only enough over the safe limit. If it is this hot, then the small fart will quickly dissipate without leaving a smell.

Fuel venting in a marine situation is a totally different matter where everything works in reverse regardless how safe tank pressure might be!

Now, if I could find a way of converting these old cars to capless tanks, I'd be happy.. :D
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:14 pm

Keep it simple boys and use the proved remedy. :D
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:21 pm

That is what they said when disc brakes were about to take over :D A TVP is about as simple as it can get... :D
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: