Race gas for storage

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:55 pm

Now that we have entered another mandatory stay at home order here in California, as well as the onset of colder weather, I see less driving ahead for my Elan. As such, I thought I would fill the tank with race gas which is supposed to be less prone to varnish and deposits if left for awhile.

So, off to the local racetrack (Sonoma Raceway) to fill up. Also, fill my backup 5 gallon can. The race gas is Sunoco 100SS. This is an unleaded 100 octane (R+M/2 or AKI). Equivalent to 104 RON elsewhere in the world, I believe. The main objective was not the octane increase but the presumably purer fuel. My car was tuned (on dyno) with premium pump gas (91 R+M/2 here in California). With that same tune, I don't perceive any increased performance with the higher octane gas, nor did I expect to. But again that wasn't the objective.
IMG_6442.jpeg and
IMG_6438.jpeg and
IMG_6445.jpeg and

Now, I won't concern myself if the car sits for an extended period of time.

When my engine was built and the dyno session on pump gas was concluded, we finished by running race gas into it and flushing out the pump gas. The reason being it was unclear how long it would be before the engine would be installed and run again.
IMG_5392 (1).jpeg and

Again, we wanted to avoid any gumming up. As it turned out, it was around 18 months before it ran again. The engine started right up and seemed to not have any ill effects from sitting so long.

PS: If I am honest, perhaps the real reason for the jaunt to the racetrack was simply to have an excuse to get out under the guise of an "essential" reason as dictated by the lockdown. I've been wanting to further test out my new 5-speed gearbox as well.

I had my excuse ready to put forward if I had been challenged as to why I was driving around. Didn't happen. In fact there was a lot of traffic about. Had my mask. Encountered no human beings. The racetrack was absolutely empty. No one at the pumps.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:48 am

Hello Nauri,

SS100 is oxygenated about 7-10%. Sunoco claims a shelf life of 1 year. I hope we are out of shelter lockdown before then. Your Elan looks gorgeous out in the sunshine.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:19 am

Dan,
What do you know about WaWa non ethanol fuel, if anything. Their pumps have a green handle for diesel, and blue handle for 89 octane no ethanol and can't remember what color the 3rd handle is for the normal 87, 89, & 93 normal pump fuel, perhaps yellow. I've only seen this brand in Florida, but I suppose it must be a regional brand in the SE

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:19 pm

Elan45 wrote:Dan,
What do you know about WaWa non ethanol fuel, if anything. Their pumps have a green handle for diesel, and blue handle for 89 octane no ethanol and can't remember what color the 3rd handle is for the normal 87, 89, & 93 normal pump fuel, perhaps yellow. I've only seen this brand in Florida, but I suppose it must be a regional brand in the SE

Roger

Hello Roger,

WaWa has stores along most of the eastern seaboard. I don't know anything about their fuels other than they sell ethanol free, 10% ethanol, E85, and 93 octane. The ethanol free should be fine for storage.

I seldom put my Elan up for the winter here in northern CA. There are usually plenty of nice days that I take it out for mental health for the both of us.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Regards,
Dan
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:31 am

Those numbers on the wall in front of the Elan - are they the price of gas (petrol) in dollars per gallon?
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:00 am

Those numbers on the wall in front of the Elan - are they the price of gas (petrol) in dollars per gallon?

Yep. Pretty crazy, huh?

Fortunately, it's something I probably won't do again for a long time. Especially since it doesn't really add to performance and even though it is ostensibly a purer gas it still has Ethanol in it. To my knowledge thare are no ethanol free options here in California. At least none that are legal for the street.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:52 am

Sunoco sells "Optima" a 95 octane ethanol free gas, not street legal. I use it for karting. If you poured it in your Elan, I don't think anyone would ever know.

The 110 leaded is also illegal for street use.

The only reason both are illegal in Kalifornia is because state gasoline taxes are not charged for use on the highway. We have to sign an affidavit the fuel will not be used in a vehicle licensed for the road.

I have to sign one every weekend when I buy fuel for my Formula Ford.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:23 am

Is your Formula Ford street legal StressCraxx?
I see in Europe you can license Formula Fords, with fenders, lights etc.
I dream of a 23B or C (motorcycle engined) or something for the local fun roads, as I am 7 hr from the nearest track. Thou there is some good vintage racing in Spokane, only 6hr.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:16 pm

h20hamelan wrote:Is your Formula Ford street legal StressCraxx?
I see in Europe you can license Formula Fords, with fenders, lights etc.

I dream of a 23B or C (motorcycle engined) or something for the local fun roads, as I am 7 hr from the nearest track. Thou there is some good vintage racing in Spokane, only 6hr.

Oh, I wish it were so. I would have to add the usual road going requirements such as horn, lights, etc. Ride height is 1-7/16" so Kalifornia's crumbing roads would be difficult. The worst part are the mommies in lifted trucks and SUVs that won't look up from their phones... One of my friends had his elan nearly destroyed when a delivery van backed up over the front of it and nearly pushed it back into a wall.

Another friend owns a road legal Lotus 23 replica with extended shocks for higher ride height. We occasionally see Xanthos 23s for sale here in the US, the kits were built in the UK as continuation cars.

Graham Arnold with a wink and a nudge had fenders and lights put on a Lotus 51, showed it at the '68 racing car show. I believe they sold five of them. https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... -what.html

I do know of some who have licensed their FFs in Louisiana and Florida where the state restrictions are far less.
Attachments
51ffr image.jpg and
10408547_10202792313268409_9209766461094281936_n.jpg and
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: