fuel hose deterioration

PostPost by: simon1 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.
Elan plus 2
simon1
New-tral

PostPost by: gus » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:09 pm

I put stainless braided hose in my +2 in 1994. It is the 'real' stuff, with teflon inside. Still fine

There are many brands of build it yourself ss teflon line around and all the fittings seem compatible within the teflon realm, but not in the rubber.

They make it with a black nylon overbraid and black fittings so it does not need to look so gaudy

Interestingly you cannot use it for the clutch hose, as the heat causes it to creep over the fitting, so I have a standard rubber ss hose there
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:46 pm

Good call Gus.

For my '65 Mustang EFI conversion I'm using Teflon lined braided AN6 hose.

The vendor with the best product at the moment seems to be Fragola. They have inexpensive nice hose ends and the hose itself is graphite lined which helps with static dissipation.

The only down side is that the ends are the old "cutter" style ends rather than the FAR easier to assemble compression style ends. I haven't built the hoses yet. But it shouldn't be too bad.

-Kyle
'70 S4 Elan - Cosworth BDP & Spyder Chassis
'62 S2 Super Seven Cosworth
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:48 pm

Here are a couple of pictures showing the hoses a friend pulled off his car recently. They had been on for about 4 years and as you can see are badly cracked, but were even worse inside when cut open. As you can see they are R9 and have been used with Ethanol E5 fuel here in the UK
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simon1 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:38 am

Hi Tony,
I did not see the photos. Could you possibly upload them again ?
Thanks
Simon
Elan plus 2
simon1
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:53 am

I have never trusted the original style braided fuel hoses and removed them and cut them up and reused the fittings with quality hose clamps and OEM quality rubber hose ( normally Gates) and never had any issues. The reproductions of the original style braided hoses you buy now I would suspect the quality of the hose even more and you cant see it deteriorate inside the braiding until its too late.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simon1 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Thank you so much for this Rohan. Do you know where in the UK I can get the hose that you recommend. Might you be able to post a link ?
Thanks again.
Simon
Elan plus 2
simon1
New-tral

PostPost by: simon1 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:20 pm

Sorry Rohan, I just see that you are in Australia ! I will try to track these down. Simon
Elan plus 2
simon1
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:18 am

Moss appear to stock it in the UK but there will certainly be others.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:54 pm

The Gates hose you’re looking for I called “Gates barricade”. It’s available on Amazon here in the US. Maybe they have it there too.
'70 S4 Elan - Cosworth BDP & Spyder Chassis
'62 S2 Super Seven Cosworth
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chris » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:00 pm

R7 hose has a nitrile rubber inner liner, and is meant to be suitable for ethanol fuel. R10 hose has a nitrile rubber inner and outer sleeve and is used whet hoses are submerged in fuel.
chris
Chris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chris » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:37 pm

Last year looking for the lowest ethanol content fuel for aviation use, I took samples of fuel from BP 95 and 98 hoses, also Tesco 95 and 98 and tested them for ethanol content.The following day I took more samples. I don't have a log of findings anymore, but the ethanol content varied substantially. None of them showed the 5% which was marked on the pump.Twice I had readings of 1% the remainder were in the region of 3 to 6 % and one read 9%. I remember there was no great difference between 95 and 98 rating fuels regarding reliability of advertised content. I assume 5% must be an average.
I don't know how it is mixed, but if someone filled up at the time a particular pump was giving 1%, then I suppose the remainder of the fuel in storage must be higher. Makes you wonder. Incidentally my checks were verified for errors.
no need to worry, just for interest.
Chris
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: