Who has fitted QED injection?

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 pm

With all due respect to your very tidy setup, those throttle cable brackets look strong enough to lift the engine out with.

Do you think they might be overly robust?
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:25 pm

They are syvecs ones. They are aluminium and weigh practically nothing. I use them with two cables on my race car, although I have modified them to have the same throw with less cable movement.
They are very nicely made.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:26 am

As I have recently posted on a similar thread, I have never understood the 'two throttle cable' thing. I have researched the subject, and the only place I can find any sort of rationale is on bikes where one cable is used to open the throttle, and another to close it. I think this is due to the twist grip throttle where too strong a return spring makes the throttle uncomfortable to use.

The Elan I race(d) has a TTR twin throttle cable bracket built like a brick outhouse, that I have only ever used one cable on. My road Elan has a more elegant Timavo twin throttle bracket - also with only one cable on. They both have worked fine for many years.

In the spirit of 'simplify and add lightness', the original design of a bent bit of metal attached to the airbox, a weird spring and using the outer cable as the moving part fits the bill. I can only assume that after-market brackets became popular in setups where the airbox had been discarded. This is generally a bad idea as without the airbox the carbs can move relative to each other making tickover balancing a challenge, and cold air fed from the front of the car is far better than under bonnet air. Racing requires twin throttle return springs, but it is better to fit these to the end of the carb throttle shafts than the cable assembly.

I am planning to move back to Mr C's original design when I restore my road Elan.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:38 pm

Woodie
looks like a tidy project - did you use QED for all the parts or go on your own?
Interested in doing the same with my +2.
Any additional details you could share - what did you do re: fuel pump and swirl pot?
N
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: woodie » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 pm

Hi
I can confirm that the throttle cable brackets are beautifully made and look much better in the flesh. A warning, every small part is an additional cost!
A Spydercars rad and swirl pot were used twin fans. Fuel pump was electric fitted in the the boot, plus fuel pressure
regulator (which cost more than the pump!)
woodie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 am

nwbaxter66 wrote:Woodie
looks like a tidy project - did you use QED for all the parts or go on your own?
Interested in doing the same with my +2.
Any additional details you could share - what did you do re: fuel pump and swirl pot?
N

You are right in the midst of fuel injection manufacture, so definitely look close to home for your project!

Jenvey without doubt for the throttle bodies (or lookalike Weber housings if thais rocks your boat. My take is that if you want to better an old car, why try to hide it?)), and consider Emerald who most will say are far superior DTAfast for the ECU and cables.

For the fuel system look at what FAST (US) offer, and if you do not mind taking out your fuel tank, consider their in-tank returnless pump for low power aftermarket use. This will give you a very neat and practical set-up. I went down the route of having a swirlpot and pump built into an alloy tank, with external adjustable regulator and return line. Waste of time! I wish I thought it out a bit more before jumping in. As well as neater, it would have saved my a barrow of cash!

The only 'must' that you have to adopt is the use of JIC fittings and braided hose. Do not use push on and clips.

For your ignition it is a no brainer - Ford Mondeo 2nd gen. Emerald can supply this with their ECU.

Good luck!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:29 am

Any race or competitors that can give me advice
If you fit fuel injection how would that effect your eligibility if you wanted to do the odd competitive event.
Maybe Hill climbs, Classic rallies, time trials etc. Nothing serious like historic with all the homologation rules etc.
Just fancy the odd event of competing on your own against the clock.
I want to build a fast road racer and wondering where the cut off points are.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: