Lotus Elan

Weber DCOE 40 151 Fuel Level

PostPost by: marode » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:54 am

TBG wrote:"Personally I do it myself as there is a lack of experts and rolling roads where I live. So better to invest in a selection of jets and do it myself.

Absolutely! That's the point, couldn't agree more.
marode
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mike McHugh » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:42 am

I have just read this whole thread, as me recently bought 65, much modified Elan (looks just like my first college autoX BRG), has the 40dcoe 151 Italian carbs.
Are they identical to the 18/31 type? Any difference in tuning?
Having stumbling off idle, and lack of power, but drove it home to Reno, over the Sierras.
Plugs good color but a bit wet, thinking of going leaner for the altitude 4,500 -6,000 ft.
Or putting in naked bp6 vs 7.

Just discovered cams are 150 hp, .40” lift
Some vintage racing history, fresh rebuild.
Looking for my Weber book that I haven’t seen for 30 years….
I remember the book’s conclusion on tuning…”Suck it and see”.
Mike McHugh
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:52 pm

151 have different (better) progression hole positions, air balance screws and plastics floats. They seem to be well tuneable in twin cam in my experience.

Sounds like you need to check what jets etc you have and do a full from scratch setup on them.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mike McHugh » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:22 am

Thanks, looks like more than carb tuning…the wet with gas plug has 0 intake valve clearance. The others valves have ok clearance…hope the engine builder just made a math blunder when adjusting. Here goes…
Mike McHugh
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:36 pm

It's common, maybe even normal, for the valve clearances to cost up when the head of torqued down. So if they where set with head on the bench, I wouldn't be too concerned and just correct them.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:07 pm

Hi
it happened to me QED did work on my head and set the clearances, when the head was torqued down I had to readjust a couple of them. The work by QED was top notch

Good luck
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: