Lotus Elan

Mods when fitting an electric pump instead of mechanical

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sat May 12, 2018 12:56 am

I?ve decided to fit an electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical one. Is there a benefit or even a need to fit the blanking plate with the deflector strip on the inside to stop oil being thrown up in a similar manner that the lever on the mechanical pump does? I have a plain blanking plate but wonder if I need to change it to the one with the deflector strip?
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 665
Joined: 16 May 2017
Location: Lincolnshire

PostPost by: mbell » Sat May 12, 2018 1:28 am

In theory you don't need it as the oil just get thrown up the drain tube and runs back down. However if your drain tube is slightly iffy you might get a worse leak with out the deflector plate.

When I first got my car running I was surprised by the amount of oil leaking from the bottom of the drain tube on mine with no obvious issues with the tube but now I suspect oil going up there from the jack shaft might of been a factor

Whether that's worth the hassle of getting a new blanker with deflector I'll leave you to judge.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: 07 Jun 2013
Location: Austin, TX (UK Ex-pat)

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat May 12, 2018 5:39 am

I'll be honest and say that I didn't even know there were blanking plates with a deflector. When I fitted my electric pump a few years ago I just removed the mechanical one and made up a blanking plate using the gasket as
template. It's just a flat plate, fitted with gasket and I expect I used a smear of sealant as well but it doesn't leak.

I'd be tempted to fit what you've got. If for some reason you have a problem then it's an easy job to retrofit a plate with deflector should you prefer one.

Brian
User avatar
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 645
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Location: Lincolnshire

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat May 12, 2018 6:08 am

I too have only a blanking plate with no deflector. Ive had no problems either.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 968
Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Location: Gosport sur la mer,South hants

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:04 am

My DIY plain blanking plate was fitted around 25 yrs ago and I've never had a problem since. One of the few fit and forget mods I've done.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Location: nr Oxford UK

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat May 12, 2018 7:40 am

Bigbaldybloke wrote:I?ve decided to fit an electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical one. Is there a benefit or even a need to fit the blanking plate with the deflector strip on the inside to stop oil being thrown up in a similar manner that the lever on the mechanical pump does? I have a plain blanking plate but wonder if I need to change it to the one with the deflector strip?

May i suggest you use an Electric "HUCO" Pump from from "Dellorto.co.uk" part n? 133010 and it is designed for use with Webers (low pressure).
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat May 12, 2018 10:59 am

+1 to the above. On the advice of Alan I think.

Be careful with the O rings on the adjustable inlet and outlet pipes, they are easily damaged.

(Sorry the image is a bit out of focus, its been cut and expanded from smaller original.)
150-may.-12-11.55.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: 12 Jan 2015
Location: amersham

PostPost by: 661 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:47 am

vincereynard wrote:+1 to the above. On the advice of Alan I think.

Be careful with the O rings on the adjustable inlet and outlet pipes, they are easily damaged.

(Sorry the image is a bit out of focus, its been cut and expanded from smaller original.)
150 May. 12 11.55.jpg


Now that's interesting ( for my Stromberg engine)
It is a suction type so draws through the existing pipe without having to make them high pressure secure.
Additionally can be fitted close to the original position so existing pipe lengths might work.
Do you fit an inertia switch ? ( well you should ,I guess) Which one?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
User avatar
661
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 839
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Location: East Sussex

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat May 12, 2018 1:19 pm

661 wrote:Now that's interesting ( for my Stromberg engine)
It is a suction type so draws through the existing pipe without having to make them high pressure secure.
Additionally can be fitted close to the original position so existing pipe lengths might work.
Do you fit an inertia switch ? ( well you should ,I guess) Which one?


I've no idea what pressure Strombergs require.
https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/car-acc ... ump-133010

I have not fitted an inertia switch yet, (I know I should!)
Simple rocker on the RH side of the underdash trim. Which I often forget about and wonder why the engine
is miss firing. :?

s1820002.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: 12 Jan 2015
Location: amersham

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests