Dellorto DHLA40s

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Some pix..

img_4322.jpg and
Carb for cylinders 1 and 2

img_4323.jpg and
Carb for cylinders 3 and 4

I'm looking for some advice on how to tune these beasts. I have a flow meter (fits to a single trumpet and gives a numeric reading) and Gunson's Colourtune.

First though, this gap, is it normal?

img_4325.jpg and
Carb - manifold gap

I think I am looking at the manifold O ring behind the bolt, where I expected a properly formed gasket. Is that right?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:25 pm

.........as there's even cobwebs which shows no cleaning or so...and the o-ring missing on one side (?) i imagine you should steal an hr somehow to give em a good clean an a set of fresh o-rings - that'd be one step forward!! sandy :roll:
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Gap is normal, and should be on both side of the intermediate plate between carb and manifold. There should be an O ring on each side of that plate, special spring washers (Thackery washers) under the nuts, and the gap adjusted per the manual. The plate/O-rings are an anti-vibration mechanism and the carb should never be fully tightened down.

Isn't much to tune on Webers or Dellorto's (assuming the jetting is already correct) other than carb balance and idle mixture. Numerous print and online publications out there (including the Factory manual) on the process. I find Des Hamill's book on to be very useful. How to Build & Power Tune Weber & Dellorto DCOE & DHLA Carburettors
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Something like this -

s1410002.jpg and

Note the gaps in the thackery washers. Details in the manual. Fuel Section (L) Page 19.

They are shown in your first 2 images but with plain nuts (presumably) bolted tight.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:56 pm

On the studs you need thin plain washers + thackery washers+ nyloc nuts.
Imho the best for balancing Dellortos is a Carbtune.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:55 pm

So I am missing the Thackeray washers?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:58 pm

JonB wrote:So I am missing the Thackeray washers?

You appear to have them but they are bolted down to have no mid coil clearance.
screenhunter_325-dec.-11-19.49.jpg and

Also there is no additional plain washer and the nuts should be nyloc. With a plain nut what would prevent it vibrating loose and altering the clearance? (Hence bolted down.)

This will give no flexibility to the carb. mounting and could put a distorting strain on the carb. face.

Nasty bodge. But the bits are cheap. I bought new studs as well then they are all the same length.

Does your wife still recognise you?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:37 am

You've got the special tools needed to equalise air flow and then optimise mixture.
After renewing the o rings and reinstalling the carbs it should take an hour or so -providing ignition timing is right.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:32 am

vincereynard wrote:Something like this -

(picture)

Note the gaps in the thackery washers. Details in the manual. Fuel Section (L) Page 19.

They are shown in your first 2 images but with plain nuts (presumably) bolted tight.

Carb pr0n! My carbs will never be as clean as that! :(

So, they're bolted tight. I had thought the engine on my car at least had been well looked after. Now I see that is not necessarily the case. It has multiple oil leaks too (but let's not derail the thread, I will start another at some point). Time to grab the manual.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:22 am

Ah-ha! The Dellorto carbs are explained on page 63 (section L.26). Better get some new O rings, Thakerays and nylocks ordered...

[Edit: done!]
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:29 am

On further reading it seems there are not that many points of adjustment as has been stated above.

• Idle speed
  • Idle mixture
  • Acceleration pump capacity
  • Butterfly position (balance)

Thing is, the carb is covered in screws that look like adjusters. They're not described in the manual, but at least one looks (from the cross sectional diagram) like a cover for the progression holes (fig. 29, item 23). I would like my car to run well, but I also seek fuel economy as I can tell it is running rich from all the soot in the exhaust. This takes me, presumably, into the shady realm of emulsion tubes and jets.

Maybe I can adjust the acceleration pump capacity thingie to reduce the amount of raw fuel it squirts into the inlet when mashing the throttle to the floor... as you do..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:23 am

Jon
Most of the screws just hold something in.
Until you've remounted the carbs, balanced the airflow, set the idle jets and then run the car a while you won't really know if anything else needs to be done.
If not happy at that time next step would be to strip, check jet and tube sizes and clean carbs.
Generally on standard engines the standard set up works!
Mark
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 am

Here's a short article on tuning Dellortos. It expains what and where the tweaking bits are.

Tuning Carbs.pdf
(637.11 KiB) Downloaded 7378 times
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:50 am

Vince, that is just the ticket, thanks!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:36 pm

..and don't forget to set the float height first...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: