Things to check

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:23 pm

It was unseasonably warm this weekend, so the S4 was going to get a run. It hadn't been started in about a month, so I expected some cranking to get it going. No joy, which never happens. Not much of a fuel smell, so went to disconnect the fuel line at the carbs. Really dry and brittle, but disconnected and no fuel. Long story short, the fuel line looked fine, but had perished. I have my usual rotation of things I check and lube, replace or tighten, but the fuel line is not on any list and it is now on the list. Just posting this in the event that others have similar blind faith that fuel lines last forever. All the best, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ricarbo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:59 pm

Mine failed too. It was the short 'rubber' pipe connecting the tank to the plastic pipe that runs through the frame. Now replaced with 6mm pipe to R9 specification for modern UK fuels.
regards
Richard
ricarbo
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:08 pm

Here is my list. Would be interested to read how often others are checking various items and intervals for some of the more infrequent changes, like brake seals.

With each drive, I check coolant, engine oil and oil in strombergs.

I periodically check clutch and brake fluid levels. I replace clutch (slave and master) seals when I start losing fluid consistently. Slave goes more frequently than master. You can tell its going as the oil gets darker and I get smoke on start-up from fluid leaking onto exhaust. I also periodically check tire pressure.

Every season, I top up trunnions, steering rack with grease (some use oil).

I replace engine oil every couple of years or couple thousand miles. I top up gear box at the same time, as I seem to drip from there. I also have no confidence that I am filling to the right level, as it seems to go in and go in, and not come out, then come flooding out, and not sure how much remained in. I just did differential oil for the first time in my ownership of the car (11 years). :roll: It wasn't that bad now that I have an access port in the boot.

On alternating years, I change brake and clutch fluid. I check suspension to ensure that everything is tightened to spec and bushings are OK during these changes.

I did brake seals the other year, not because they needed it, but because I had never done it before. I replaced pistons with stainless. I am not sure how often they need to be done. Every 5 years, I am guessing.

Hope that helps. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: