Thermal Compensators - Strombergs

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:37 am

I have a little problem in that the idle in the car is very irractic but not in a normal way.
After it has warmed up and been switched off, on re starting its wonderfull and runs perfect. Could this be latent heating to the thermal compensators?

Then if it is the thermal compensators, can I just remove them?
How would it run without them?

Thanks
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:25 pm

Terry,

Google this as there is plenty written as they were fitted on many cars. From Memory they open and weaken the mixture when the under bonnet/hood temp' rises. They never actually published info for Joe public to set up as I understand. A lot of carb shops just slacked the bi-metal lock nut and tighten them up so that the little valve never opened.
I Googled years back and found the set up with hot water etc were they give an approx' setting temp' and opening/closing point. I believe it was a Triumph TR site. Watch out for that little rubber washer that sits under the valve seat. It tends to swell and distort and can cause air to be drawn in. I did the set up from the TR site to make sure that what they both did that they did it together. I believe that to be a correct thing to happen and logical. I would go for calibrating them and ensuring the valve is clean and the rubber washer is in good nick and not folded over.

Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:54 am

Thanks Mike, I will have a go, I think they must be sticking and not opening quite at the right point.

Cheers
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: