Strong smell of petrol but no leak

PostPost by: prezoom » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Though I have just recently come to possess a S/130, It is stored in my garage, along with several other cars, and I have not noticed any smell associated with gas/petrol. It does have the later tank with the auxiliary small tank behind the fuel tank and the charcoal canister.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:41 pm

prezoom wrote:Though I have just recently come to possess a S/130, It is stored in my garage, along with several other cars, and I have not noticed any smell associated with gas/petrol. It does have the later tank with the auxiliary small tank behind the fuel tank and the charcoal canister.

The later federal cars had a EVAP system (i.e the extra tank) so don't vent to air like early & UK cars. So I wouldn't expect them to smell unless there was a leak.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:08 pm

GASOLINE is in our blood some of us will agree, others won't: I'd get an aftershave smelling of the following: my leather interior, oil, gasoline and an elan interior with a tiny bit of sandalwood, cedar and muscat -------------- the finest ENGLISH smell you can get UNLESS you just found yerself a lovely british wife: lets say from yorkshire!! sandy 4982
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:24 am

My 72 S130 has the vent pipes across the top of the tank to the opposite sides, not going overhead behind the headlining. I'd assumed this was a later factory mod from the original design, but maybe it's not standard. However it seems to work and makes the pipes much easier to check. When i bought the car there was the usual smell of petrol until i reduced the diameter of the vent pipe exits buy using a wooden peg (spile) with a small hole drilled thru it. That has eliminated the smell, but does make filling the final third of the tank very slow of course, so i don't bother.
Steve
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TonyJ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Boiling tube bung with hole in fit perfectly - one each side. Being a Science teacher they're easy to get hold of and work a treat :D Venting sorted and no petrol fumes. Gladly send anyone a pair just pay p & p.

Tony
TonyJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: