Lotus Elan

Fitting New Locking fuel Cap

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:26 pm

I have bought a smart new locking fuel cap for my Sprint. Can someone just confirm that to make it fit and work I will have to cut away the two areas marked with a grey rectangle on my photo? The cap is shown in the unlocked position and I'm guessing that I need to make cut-outs so that the tongues can go under the lip, then when the key is turned they will rotate and prevent the cap from being opened.

I bought the cap from Matty's but no instructions were provided.

Mike
Attachments
Fuel Cap.jpg and
User avatar
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Location: Troon, SW Scotland

PostPost by: ken ob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:12 pm

Yes you are correct. Just make sure you make the cut outs where the tongues rest when then key is in the open position.

Ken
Slightly confused by everything since the invention of the wheel.
ken ob
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 230
Joined: 13 Nov 2010
Location: Wirral England

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:15 pm

info in the open position you cannot remove the key :roll:
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks both. Yes, I had worked out that the key is fixed when open! I guess I will need to take the filler neck out to avoid getting filings in the tank. Bah! I only put it in a couple of weeks ago. One step forward, one step back.

Mike
User avatar
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Location: Troon, SW Scotland

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:26 am

A thousand words

2014_1101potrolcap0003.JPG and


John :wink:
User avatar
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 5688
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Location: Manchester

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:11 am

John, your cap is the other side of the car compared with my Sprint FHC. On mine, it is on the right (UK driver's) side. I thought they were all the same.

Mike
User avatar
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Location: Troon, SW Scotland

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:18 am

Maybe because it's a Plus2....?

Someone is bound to come up with the answer.

John :wink:
User avatar
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 5688
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Location: Manchester

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:04 am

Don't know if this will help but here is a picture of the a neck that goes with that locking cap.

Just thinking on, you could also e-mail ceandess and ask if they have a template or diagram of how the neck should be cut out. http://www.ceandess.co.uk/capsmain.html
Attachments
$_57.JPG and
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:59 pm

OOps! You can see I'm new to Lotus. I hadn't considered that your car could be a PLus 2 John. :oops:

Thanks for the link Grizzly. Nice to see who makes these things. Being an inveterate bodger, I have already cut the required slots with my little Dremel. It made a welcome relief from trying to make ALL the brake pipe unions leak-free. It's a pity you can't mount the master cylinder and bleed the system before the body goes on.

Mike
User avatar
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Location: Troon, SW Scotland

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:13 am

i have fitted a locking cap like that on my Elan Sprint and no problem because the tank on a baby elan is in the bottom of the boot = no leaks.
I have not put a locking cap on my Elan +2 because the tank on the +2 is in a very high position and petrol will and does leak from locking caps on +2 ?lans. :mrgreen:
The standard non locking cap has 2 seals and should not leak
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:15 pm

alan.barker wrote:i have fitted a locking cap like that on my Elan Sprint and no problem because the tank on a baby elan is in the bottom of the boot = no leaks.
I have not put a locking cap on my Elan +2 because the tank on the +2 is in a very high position and petrol will and does leak from locking caps on +2 ?lans. :mrgreen:
The standard non locking cap has 2 seals and should not leak


In my experience the locking caps (don't know about the non locking) have a breather hole in the seal plate which results in fuel spillage on the Plus 2. Seal the hole up and the spillage stops...

Robbie
User avatar
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: 08 Oct 2003
Location: UK

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Robbie693 wrote:
alan.barker wrote:i have fitted a locking cap like that on my Elan Sprint and no problem because the tank on a baby elan is in the bottom of the boot = no leaks.
I have not put a locking cap on my Elan +2 because the tank on the +2 is in a very high position and petrol will and does leak from locking caps on +2 ?lans. :mrgreen:
The standard non locking cap has 2 seals and should not leak


In my experience the locking caps (don't know about the non locking) have a breather hole in the seal plate which results in fuel spillage on the Plus 2. Seal the hole up and the spillage stops...

Robbie

But isn't that there for a reason? won't you get fuel starvation on a run if the tank is completely sealed?

Frankly if i don't flood my boot with fuel from the Level sensor gasket i'll be happy.
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 pm

the +2 has 2 big plastic pipe breathers that go up and over the back window Under the head lining. Down each side and exit infront of the rear wheels. That's why the garage always stinks of petrol :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:51 pm

alan.barker wrote:the +2 has 2 big plastic pipe breathers that go up and over the back window Under the head lining. Down each side and exit infront of the rear wheels. That's why the garage always stinks of petrol :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

fair enough, can't you fix a carbon filter on the end :)
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: 661 and 9 guests