Throttle shafts not countersunk?

PostPost by: ort » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:25 pm

I think you are right about the standards have slipped, the modern parts are not a patch on the originals
it's worth taking a few measurements from the carb that you haven't stripped. my type 31's have a pump stroke of 9mm instead of the 16mm book figure.
the jigs I knocked up at work years ago when I had a few minutes not the prettiest but do the job. the weber tool doesn't appear to have the drill bush. I added that as I was concerned with not drilling centrally to meet the rear hole.

Iain
First Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:53 pm

Well I found a post that says my 40DCOE 2 should be 10mm or 14mm.

IMG_1316.jpg and

When I clocked my un-dismantled unit I found 9.9mm, so game on.

oldchieft wrote:I will install the shafts completely, and wire them shut at the control arm.

Then position the pump control arm the same as the one that has not been moved and fix it with a dab of super glue, then use a 2mm drill to mark the shaft.

After that take the whole thing apart and drill it in the vice, the problem would be picking up the line of the back hole.

The way round that might be to plug the back hole with a steel pin silver soldered in so it would not mater, or buy new pump control arms.

I did it that way except I super glued it after I took it apart and refitted it to drill it, and I drilled from both sides a bit at a time till it broke through.

IMG_1317.jpg and

When I clocked after rebuild the pump stroke is 10.4mm, that is close to a result.

If I want to dial it in a bit closer I can file the arm a bit, but I expect I will leave it.

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: