Dellorto DHLA Throttle Linkage

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm looking for a simple but effective linkage setup. I bought the one that RD sells but it is big and ugly (IMHO) so I'm going to return it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mr.Gale
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Have a look at piece manifolds website.

Mostly focused on Weber but might have something that would work. Look to have the standard link used on my webers.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:44 pm

Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks mbell, I checked with Piece and they couldn't help me.
Lotusfan, this linkage looks good but why two cables? I'm not sure how I would adapt it to the Elan unless I drilled a second hole (?). Any ideas?
Thanks to both of you,
Mr.Gale
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:14 am

Dear Mr Gale

They also do a version with one cable, I have bought one but it is still in the post (mail) so I can't say what it is like but it looks very good on paper.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:27 pm

imho the original lotus set up is simple and good
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:45 pm

As a follow up, I bought the one Lotusfan suggested and am very pleased with the quality. The only bad thing is I had to remove ~1/4" of the casting between the carbs (see photo) and cut the linkage bracket that goes between the carbs. It was not cheap (80#s) shipped to CA but is about the same price as the one RD sells.

Mr.Gale

Mangoletsi - LP 4301
Attachments
P4080744.jpg and
P4070740.jpg and
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Dear Mr Gale

I am pleased that you are pleased with the Mangoletsi linkage that I recommended but am sorry that you had to take a hacksaw to your manifold. There is a reference to cutting the linkage in the instructions but no mention of relieving the manifold. It certainly looks much better than the R Dent offering which I see you returned.

My linkage will be fitted in the next few weeks and I will report back if I have to cut the manifold.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Cutting part of the manifold was not a bid deal and the installation instructions do say, "may require removal of the cast joining bar". On the twin cam fitted with Dellorto carbs this is a must do modification, I'm not sure if this would be required with Webers(?).
Keep us posted,
Mr.Gale

lotusfan wrote:Dear Mr Gale

I am pleased that you are pleased with the Mangoletsi linkage that I recommended but am sorry that you had to take a hacksaw to your manifold. There is a reference to cutting the linkage in the instructions but no mention of relieving the manifold. It certainly looks much better than the R Dent offering which I see you returned.

My linkage will be fitted in the next few weeks and I will report back if I have to cut the manifold.
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:33 pm

I know this string is over a year old but interested to know if the Mangoletsi setup for Webers also required the cutting of the intake manifold like for the Dellortos.

Lotusfan was fitting to Webers but there was no subsequent post to report back.

Thanks.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:17 pm

1owner69Elan wrote:Lotusfan was fitting to Webers but there was no subsequent post to report back.

I was also fitting to Dellortos and had to cut the joining bar on the manifold.

Now the linkage is fitted the 'feel' of the throttle is very good, much more controllable than the standard set up BUT it was not a straightforward bolt on modification.

The fuel line had to be modified because the normal set up fouled the throttle mechanism. Look at the photo, the throttle cable is the blue one and when the pedal is pushed the throttle mechanism moves towards the engine fouling the fuel line and the choke linkage. I have solved both problems but it was disappointing that they had to be done. There is one more difficulty which is removing and refitting the blanking screw for No 4 cylinder vacuum tapping.

Hope this helps and happy to answer any more questions.
Attachments
dsc00443.jpg and
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: