Thinking of removing secondary throttle assembly

PostPost by: JGeezer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:28 pm

I am thinking of discarding the whole secondary throttle assembly on my '69 early Federal project. It only serves to support the crossover for EGR and the idle retard, both of which I am planning to remove anyway. The Strombergs mount beautifully directly on the intake manifold (well, they will once I put in shorter studs).

Anybody have a [good] reason why not?

Throttle.jpg and
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
(Past MGA, MGB, TR6, AH 3000 BJ8, XR4ti, BMW E39 540i/6, Lola T644 ... )
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Ideally you would replace the mixture pre-heat assembly with the throttle blocks and balance tube fitted to non-federal engines with Stromberg carburetors. You really want the balance tube to prevent starving cylinders with the Stromberg arrangement. These are shown in the Service Parts List.
Last edited by CBUEB1771 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:23 pm

I have attached a picture of the secondary throttle assembly removed on my TC engine. Also a 1969 federal model. This was done by Marcovicci and Wenz when they rebuilt the engine. I have since returned to the original air box as the front filter assembly contacted the hood (bonnet) when closed.

Bob
Attachments
100_0020.JPG and
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:15 pm

You can remove the crossover tubes, but need the secondary throttle bodies as shown in Bob's picture. Most put simple covers over the holes like in Bob's picture. The secondary throttle bodies are needed to balance the carbs. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:56 am

Indeed, keep the manifold, O-rings, Thackeray washers etc. You can keep or discard the secondary throttle plates and spindles. If you keep them, lock them in the open position; if you remove them (as I have done on my TC Europa) then block the holes. I tapped them (3/8" coarse thread if I recall correctly) and put aluminium studs in with some epoxy to keep them in place.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JGeezer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:33 am

So the reason you would all keep the secondary is just to balance the carbs - OK, but why don't the Webers need that? They were mounted directly on the intake manifolds, with no interconnection. If I get Webers I can remove it, but the Strombergs need the balancing?
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:33 am

JGeezer wrote:So the reason you would all keep the secondary is just to balance the carbs - OK, but why don't the Webers need that? They were mounted directly on the intake manifolds, with no interconnection. If I get Webers I can remove it, but the Strombergs need the balancing?

Webers have an individual runner per cylinder where as the Stomberg head has 2 runners for 4 cylinders and have a Siamese intake tracts so what happens in practice is that they do not balance well. Cylinder 3 steals some of the intake charge from Cylinder 4 (likewise cylinder 1 steals from Cylinder 2, 2 from 1, and 4 from 3) when there is no balance tube. Why a balance tube works I can't really say but without it it won't run (or drive) well.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:12 am

piss-ant wrote:
JGeezer wrote:So the reason you would all keep the secondary is just to balance the carbs - OK, but why don't the Webers need that? They were mounted directly on the intake manifolds, with no interconnection. If I get Webers I can remove it, but the Strombergs need the balancing?

Webers have an individual runner per cylinder where as the Stomberg head has 2 runners for 4 cylinders and have a Siamese intake tracts so what happens in practice is that they do not balance well. Cylinder 3 steals some of the intake charge from Cylinder 4 (likewise cylinder 1 steals from Cylinder 2, 2 from 1, and 4 from 3) when there is no balance tube. Why a balance tube works I can't really say but without it it won't run (or drive) well.

Gary

Beat me to it as usual Gary :D Here's my understanding.....

The firing sequence of the engine - 13421342 - means that the front two cylinders fire followed by the rear two so with the paired runners of the Stromberg set-up the manifold depression "seen" by each carb tends to fluctuate. The air valve in each carb tries to follow these fluctuations leading to unstable air/fuel ratio and rough running, particularly at idle. The balance pipe is necessary to overcome this problem.

The twin choke Webers and Dellortos are effectively 4 individual carbs each feeding one cylinder through it's own intake runner so the above problem does not arise and a balance pipe is unnecessary.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JGeezer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Thank you so much, Dan, Gary, and Rodger! You guys do know your stuff, and unfortunately, that now makes a lot of sense to me; having that whole (in my judgement, rather ugly) extra manifold just for that is now a burden I accept.

I started looking into the dual choke conversion, but now see that's whole different head. My only option is Dan's, and I will try to source the non-federal parts:

Balance.jpg and

Thanks again! You guys are really good.

John G
New Hartford, CT
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:33 pm

Gary and the other Roger have explained 99% of the issue - there is one more bit to it. Consider one pair of cylinders - say 1 and 2. Since there's a "suck-suck-pause (2, 1, pause)" flow through the carb, you can consider that the first inlet to open is No2. Before it's completed its fill, however, along comes greedy No1 inlet valve, opens up and steals charge from No2. Having a connection between the 2 inlet runners (1&2, 3&4) helps this issue too, though doesn't eliminate it.

You don't absolutely need the non-Federal solution, though I must admit to it being slightly better and am in the process of converting my Europa, having found the bits and pieces through this forum. Good luck with your search, but you can go ahead with the Federal manifold anyway. It does have one small advantage over the non-Federal, in that it provides you with somewhere to hold the throttle cable outer sheath, which you otherwise have to work out yourself.

As to whether it's ugly or not - I don't think Bob's or my setup look ugly.

RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JGeezer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:27 pm

That is about as nice as I would think it can be done. Thanks for showing me!
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:31 am

The reason that Strombergs have a balance pipe is to keep the manifold vacuum steadier at idle speed. Without the balance pipe the period of non flow is signficant at idle spped and this causes the piston to drop and then lift with each suction cycle which gives a poor idle and throttle response of idle. The balance pipe enables a more constant vacuum signal to the piston and thus constant piston postion in both carbs by ensuring they both see the same vacuum vacuum signal during the flow and non flow parts of the cycle..

At higher engine speed the balance pipe is not really needed as the piston does not have time to respond the shorter time period loss of flow and its mass and dmaping achieves the required averaging of the flow rate required.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:43 am

rgh0 wrote:The reason that Strombergs have a balance pipe is to keep the manifold vacuum steadier at idle speed. Without the balance pipe the period of non flow is signficant at idle spped and this causes the piston to drop and then lift with each suction cycle which gives a poor idle and throttle response of idle. The balance pipe enables a more constant vacuum signal to the piston and thus constant piston postion in both carbs by ensuring they both see the same vacuum vacuum signal during the flow and non flow parts of the cycle..

At higher engine speed the balance pipe is not really needed as the piston does not have time to respond the shorter time period loss of flow and its mass and dmaping achieves the required averaging of the flow rate required.

cheers
Rohan

That's what I tried to say in my post above..........but I bow to your superior explanation :wink:
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 am

Hi Roger
I was trying to reinforce what you had said as some of the subsequent posts appeared to be missing the point. :D

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:15 pm

The federal assembly is fine. The o-ring and thackery washer set-up is critical to good performance. Notice the gap between the carbs and the assembly, that is the o-ring and thackery washers at work. Good Luck, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: