Fitting an electric fuel pump

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed May 01, 2024 8:47 am

On a Sprint that I bought a few years ago, the Facet pump was installed on the vertical fibreglass face next to the fuel tank. It worked well, apart from the fact that the spare wheel would not then fit in the wheel well, and had to be carried in the boot space. What bloody good is that ! and was quickly reverted back to standard with an original AC Delco glass top fuel pump.

Yesterday was a lovely day here in Cambs. with a bit of warmth. Lets have a little first drive of the season, see if everything is in order. Different Sprint to above, car not been started for about 4 months. First checked the donuts with a strong LED light by moving the car backward and forward over my head whilst standing in my pit. All in good shape, 50k miles on them.

Start up everyday car and hook up jump leads to Sprint. Turned it over 3 times on the key for about 10 seconds each time, with a 30 second break between. Then 4 - 5 pumps on the accel. pedal and away she goes. Had a lovely 25 mile drive.

Honestly, I do not know why some of you want to alter these cars from original. Makes no sence to me.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 am

Hi Leslie.
My Facet priming pump fits neatly in the corner of the wheel well and does not obstruct the spare wheel. About 10 seconds to fill the carburettor bowl and the engine starts immediately. It is on a battery conditioner when not in use and is used all year round when the roads are dry. About 350 miles so far this year. Oh, and I never put the roof on.
A do agree with you somewhat about originality, but I also like invisible improvements such as CV shafts, LED lights and electronic ignition.
It is good to be out there in warm weather again though.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed May 01, 2024 11:58 am

512BB wrote:On a Sprint that I bought a few years ago, the Facet pump was installed on the vertical fibreglass face next to the fuel tank. It worked well, apart from the fact that the spare wheel would not then fit in the wheel well, and had to be carried in the boot space. What bloody good is that ! and was quickly reverted back to standard with an original AC Delco glass top fuel pump.

Yesterday was a lovely day here in Cambs. with a bit of warmth. Lets have a little first drive of the season, see if everything is in order. Different Sprint to above, car not been started for about 4 months. First checked the donuts with a strong LED light by moving the car backward and forward over my head whilst standing in my pit. All in good shape, 50k miles on them.

Start up everyday car and hook up jump leads to Sprint. Turned it over 3 times on the key for about 10 seconds each time, with a 30 second break between. Then 4 - 5 pumps on the accel. pedal and away she goes. Had a lovely 25 mile drive.

Honestly, I do not know why some of you want to alter these cars from original. Makes no sence to me.

Leslie

Hey Leslie, was that the blue one? Lovely car...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Wed May 01, 2024 12:29 pm

Yes, my mistake, it is a 1/4" not 5/16" outlet on the tank.
And a nut and olive fitting at the glass bowl mechanical pump end, quite correct as noted by elanman99.

Richard I agree with you that the system appears to have been updated/ revised, on your car.

I too have reverted to a revised system, being, a Facet 'round body ' pump ( quieter!), variable pressure regulator valve, flexible braided pipe with associated AN compression fittings, then copper 5/16 tube through the backbone chassis, to an adaptor at the brass fittings on the end of the braided flexible carburettor supply pipe.

The mod was done quite some years ago, it's been completely reliable with no leaks, but I must admit I'm a little bit worried by the prospect of the new E10 fuel probably already well on its way to eating it's way through the rubber linings in the braided flexible and copper pipes, which I'm led to believe it damages?

Oh, well gives me something to do!
Last edited by l10tus on Wed May 01, 2024 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Phil.C60 » Wed May 01, 2024 12:31 pm

I run mine on E5......Super may be more expensive, but considering the low mileage most of us do it's a minor issue compared to everything else!
Phil.C60
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Thu May 02, 2024 9:51 am

'My Facet priming pump fits neatly in the corner of the wheel well and does not obstruct the spare wheel'

Thats great Eric, but on this particular car, the spare wheel did not fit where it was designed to, and that was not acceptable to me. And when the spare wheel takes up half the luggage space in the boot, when the car is used for foreign summer holidays, again, that is not acceptable, so reversion to original was called for. I soon found a punter for the electric pump on Ebay, and very pleased with it he was too.

'About 10 seconds to fill the carburettor bowl and the engine starts immediately'

Well, I am about 20 seconds behind you on filling the bowls Eric, but I will catch you up down the road. :D

'I do agree with you somewhat about originality, but I also like invisible improvements such as CV shafts, LED lights and electronic ignition.'

You will never find me fitting downgrades to any of my cars, after all, original donuts give such a lovely cushioned, smooth ride, why would I change. I rarely drive at night, so thats the LEDs scotched, and the lights on my cars are perfectly adequate anyway, and if I see you broken down by the side of the road Eric, because your electronic ignition has fried, I would most certainly stop and offer to change back to points for you. Its only a 15 minute job, and I carry many spares on board.

'Hey Leslie, was that the blue one?'

Yes Jonboy, the lagoon car was fitted with EI, not AI. Now upgraded to points and AC.D

Happy motoring all.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu May 02, 2024 11:32 am

Hi Leslie,
Thank you for your comments. I may be being a bit picky but connecting and disconnecting jump leads and three timed priming attempts before starting seems like a lot of bother when mine will start 10 seconds after sitting in the car and will drive immediately out of the garage. It seems an unnecessary nuisance to me.
The small Facet type pump is clear of the spare tyre by 40mm at its nearest point. and does not hinder fitting the spare wheel at all. I find it to be a very useful feature. My car is a Series 3, is yours different in some way.
I have had both CV shafts and donuts. I would not go back to donuts but this seems to be a controversial subject and it is each to his own on that one.
The LEDs are a direct plug in replacement. They draw a lot less current, are the right colour and brighter. I have not done the headlights because like you I do not drive in the dark. I do like brighter brake and indicator lights though.
The ignition module in the distributor was fitted in 2011 and so far it seems OK. I do have to remove the cap every year to lubricate the shaft. I also carry a set of points inside the spare wheel with all the other spares and junk.
One other addition that I did not mention was a high torque starter motor which with the higher cranking speed is a great asset when starting on cold mornings.
Nearly all the improvements I have done are fully reversible and make the car easier to use.
I hope you get out on foreign touring again soon. The furthest I have been is Colchester !
Regards
Eric
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shynsy » Thu May 02, 2024 12:15 pm

I know this is going off topic somewhat, but the discussions about the pros and cons of originality are common to all car enthusiast sites. As someone who has gone in both directions. From 30,000 mile survivor examples that we only polished and enjoyed the original ride through to engine, gearbox etc changes they all give different challenges and different joys. The +2 I have just acquired is minimally modified and I'll drive it for the next year and see if anything crops up where modification could help. But in general my rule is always that I keep the original parts with the car if I remove them an I try not to make irreversible changes. Then all good.
Tim
Current Cars: '72 Elan +2S130/5, '72 Triumph Stag 3.9L, '72 Spitifire Mk IV. Past Cars: '72 Triumph TR6 (supercharged), '70 MG Midget (K-Series + Type 9), '76 Triumph 2500TC, '72 Lotus Elan +2S130/4, '76 Triumph Spitfire 1500.
shynsy
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: