Fitting an electric fuel pump

PostPost by: tyasman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi all,
I intend fitting an electric fuel pump to my '70 Elan S4 this winter. Has anyone any views on which is the best and most commonly available (at a reasonable price) version to choose?
Thanks in advance for replies.
tyasman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:43 pm

I have done a few of these and if you are using webers or strombergs Facet makes a good pump which is easy to purcahse from most parts houses. They make it in two pressure rates of flow and you can install the low pressure unit with out issue. I have used the higher pumps also to make sure the flow is good with the pump near the tank, but then I install a regulator at the carbs. I set the regulator at 2 lbs but you can move it to what is needed.

Best of luck!
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:03 pm

I shall be doing this to my Elan eventually. I have a Facet low pressure cube pump on my MG Midget and there is no problem with it overcoming the needle valve in the SU carb, so it should be fine with any carb. I notice they are now advertising what they call a Posi-Flo pump which also seems to be ideal for carburettor engines. http://www.facet-purolator.com/retail-products.php
The cube pump can be a bit noisy so mount it out of the way on a rubber pad if you can. On my Midget you can't hear it once the engine starts!
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:38 pm

be sure to fit a cut off solenoid in case of accident with ignition still switched on :mrgreen:
Alan B
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:48 pm

I would suggest avoiding the hammering cube from facet. In my opinion the only advantage to them is that every auto parts store has one. Consider Facets lifetime pump instead. Its the round one with the dome on top and a removable screen on the bottom. They used to be the Bendix pump which I fitted to my MGB in the early 70's and which came from a friends MGA used. The fellow that bought the MGB is still running that pump and it has never given a bit of trouble and is not noisy.

Kurt

26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:07 pm

The second message on this page:
elan-f14/getting-ogu-roadworthy-again-t26101-90.html
shows my electric fuel pump installation.

I have not yet fitted an inertia switch for safety. I am considering getting one like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pump-Ine ... 7675.l2557
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:08 pm

If you use the cube facet pump the noise is not a bad thing. It helps to let you know it is working and you will only hear it when the motor
is not running. I mount them on rubber stud type mounts and the noise is not much. The huge plus is the car no longer cranks for ever on the first start up with no fuel in the carbs.

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:02 pm

[quote="billwill"]The second message on this page:
elan-f14/getting-ogu-roadworthy-again-t26101-90.html
shows my electric fuel pump installation.

Bill's pump is the one that resembles my old unstopable Bendix!!

Kurt

26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:12 pm

I fitted a cube type pump to my S4 in 1970 and its still going strong.

Nowadays I describe it as a Facet pump but when I bought it that name was not on it, in fact I am convinced it was a Bendix product.

Maybe it was made by some company and badged Bendix, or maybe Bendix made them and then sold the design or factory. Maybe Facet was an offshoot of Bendix, who knows, who cares, the pump is simple and dead reliable.

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 pm

I fitted a Facet pump, remote fuel filter & a pressure limiter all in the space to the right of the fuel tank.
It all fits in there quite nicely & the pump is fixed to the rear wheel arch via the rubber mounts that were supplied with it.
You can hear the pump ticking when it is priming fuel along the lines & replacing any evaporated fuel in the carbs, which is quite handy.
That sound is of course drowned out when the engine is running & the car being driven.

This system has run well for the past 10 years.

I think a number of owners have opted for this location for the pump but some put the filter & pressure limiter in the engine bay as close to the engine as possible; probably the theoretically better solution but it does make more of a clutter in an already cluttered engine bay.

John
Attachments
Boot3.jpg and
Boot2.jpg and
Boot1.jpg and
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:26 am

hi John
is your petrol tank special, it seems to be bigger than normal
Alan B
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 am

I fitted a Facet pump, remote fuel filter & a pressure limiter all in the space to the right of the fuel tank.
It all fits in there quite nicely & the pump is fixed to the rear wheel arch via the rubber mounts that were supplied with it.
You can hear the pump ticking when it is priming fuel along the lines & replacing any evaporated fuel in the carbs, which is quite handy.
That sound is of course drowned out when the engine is running & the car being driven.

+1 only mine are in front of the fuel tank & below boot floor level. Works fine & the car starts much more quickly as mentioned in another post.

The tank in the pic is not original & does not leave any room at this location.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:02 am

alan.t.barker wrote:hi John
is your petrol tank special, it seems to be bigger than normal
Alan B

The tank is an aluminium replacement & size wise it should be the same as the original.
I threw the totally rusty steel tank away so no comparison was made.
I had to provide a cut out in the left wall to make some more space for the 14"x6" spare wheel with 175-60 or even 185-60 tyre

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:35 am

Don't forget to fit an intertia cut-off switch as well. I use the Peugeot 306/Land Rover type but there are lots on Ebay, all pretty similar.

Nigel F
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Facet pump is OK, I have one in my Europa TC. You might also want to consider a Carter pump - I put one in the Elan, it came with an inline filter and all fixings. Type GP60504.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: