Hello & Strombergs

PostPost by: 69DHC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Cheers all. I will check the fuel pressure with the gauge I have. Also seen the vent tube is something to look at besides float, float height and the needle valve.

Should have thought to look in the workshop manual - d'oh! - I have one on the shelf here. ;)

PS the idle trim screw is for super fine tuning only, for CO adjustment purposes.
69DHC
New-tral

PostPost by: TimMullen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:34 pm

69DHC wrote:no mention of the adjustable needle which was I believe introduced towards the end of Stromberg usage for domestic market - not for federal emission cars which I believe always had fixed needles.
Actually more of the other way around. The Federal Emissions required the "spring loaded" (sideways) needle. The fixed, centered needle moved around too much (from vibrations, etc.) to give a precise flow, so the emissions carbs had the spring loaded needles to preload them to the side of the jet to hold them steady and provide a precises (predictible) mixture. That they were minimally adjustable was just a by product.
Tim Mullen

72 Elan S4 Sprint - Colorado Orange over Cirris White
05 Elise - Colorado Orange
TimMullen
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Tim.Mullen wrote:
69DHC wrote:no mention of the adjustable needle which was I believe introduced towards the end of Stromberg usage for domestic market - not for federal emission cars which I believe always had fixed needles.
Actually more of the other way around. The Federal Emissions required the "spring loaded" (sideways) needle. The fixed, centered needle moved around too much (from vibrations, etc.) to give a precise flow, so the emissions carbs had the spring loaded needles to preload them to the side of the jet to hold them steady and provide a precises (predictible) mixture. That they were minimally adjustable was just a by product.

I thought all needles, both fixed and adjustable type, were spring biased - is that not the case then ?
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 pm

British Motor Sports

Haynes Manuals produced a very good Stromberg service guide. Probably available on amazon.
I swapped my Federal fixed needles to adjustables which requires new air pistons. Dave @ British Motorsports can sell you a set of pistons & needles.

British Motorsports

1143 Dell Ave
Campbell, CA 95008

(408) 370-7174
http://[email protected]
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69DHC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi, this is the one that doesn't have a diagram of the Lotus Strombergs unfortunately.

pamitchell wrote:British Motor Sports

Haynes Manuals produced a very good Stromberg service guide. Probably available on amazon.
I swapped my Federal fixed needles to adjustables which requires new air pistons. Dave @ British Motorsports can sell you a set of pistons & needles.

British Motorsports

1143 Dell Ave
Campbell, CA 95008

(408) 370-7174
http://[email protected]
69DHC
New-tral

PostPost by: 69DHC » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Back again. ;) Well the carbs are fixed jet and adjustable needles. I think I've traced the problem to a faulty needle valve. Also, one of the jets is clearly worn and needs to be replaced so I'll do both.

The fixed jets are according to the manual non-serviceable, but that can't be right. Is there a special tool to remove the jet from the float side as it has a flat on one side, but round on the other? I've read elsewhere the jet can be pressed out. What is the wisdom to removing these fixed jets? If it's press them out, I assume it would be to drift them out of the body via the bridge? I assume they are not threaded if the advice is to drift them out! This would seem a bit odd if there is a special tool to unscrew them..

Also the floats are OK but the heights have been fiddled with which probably explains the issue with one carb being richer than the other not to mention the jet wear. The jets were both at exactly the same height from the bridge - 2.95 to the inside and 2.32 to the outer surface give or take a bit of measuring error.
69DHC
New-tral

PostPost by: 69DHC » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:04 pm

69DHC
New-tral

PostPost by: 69DHC » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:55 pm

Well, if anyone is considering fitting the adjustable jet kit to the strombergs forget it, they don't fit. The jet impacts on the top of the pedal box area.

So now I have to refit the fixed jets at the right height. Does anyone have definitive info for the correct jet height? I suspect i am going to have to get something made up to fit into the bridge area to ensure the jet is inserted to exactly the right height.

Really appreciate the help as my car is laid up at the moment and would be great to get her back on the road for the last few weeks of warm weather!!
69DHC
New-tral

PostPost by: Tonyw » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:30 am

Hi,

I have Strombergs with the adjustable jets and they do not hit the footwell perhaps youy engine is sitting a little high?

Tonyw
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Dennis 45/9760 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 am

My post (number 14) in this thread:
elan-f15/stromberg-jet-height-what-yours-t21733.html
might be of some help in removing/installing/adjusting the "fixed jet".

The tools are out there, but they are not common.

Jets, needles, etc. are available fro Joe Curto
http://www.joecurto.com
Dennis
Dennis 45/9760
New-tral

PostPost by: 69DHC » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:06 am

Tonyw wrote:Hi,

I have Strombergs with the adjustable jets and they do not hit the footwell perhaps youy engine is sitting a little high?

Tonyw

It would be too low if that was the case. By adjustable jets are they original or are they the new type like these?

http://www.sciperformance.co.uk/onlines ... n-Kit.html

I can't imagine I can lift the engine the amount it would need to go up to make these work (close to 2"). The other issue could be that the body itself is set high on the mounts but the position to the wheels is perfect so I don't think that's the issue either.
69DHC
New-tral

PostPost by: 69DHC » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:08 am

Dennis 45/9760 wrote:My post (number 14) in this thread:
elan-f15/stromberg-jet-height-what-yours-t21733.html
might be of some help in removing/installing/adjusting the "fixed jet".

The tools are out there, but they are not common.

Jets, needles, etc. are available fro Joe Curto
http://www.joecurto.com

Thanks Dennis, read your post a while ago and have been looking for these tools but no luck.
69DHC
New-tral

PostPost by: 69DHC » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:39 am

Ok thanks all, had a PM and found another reference on here to a 69 SE and am going with 0.095" from the bridge to the outer, higher side of the jet. I will get a little tool made up so these can be pressed in accurately and if it works anyone else is welcome to borrow it.
69DHC
New-tral

PostPost by: 661 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:05 am

I have a Stromberg tool kit. It seems quite comprehensive , but I fear none of it fits my Stromberg's, I think they are an odd emmision type found as a bin end in the factory.
I havent looked for a while but I think it has CD -2SE on them.
Anyhow, I'm at Goodwood next weekend and on a trackday Sat 22nd Sept if you want to borrow them.
Remember the stromberg engined cars have a different engine mount on the carb side to rasie them slightly. Could you have a weber mount??
Idle is lumpy, sounds great, especially with the straight through twin SE exhaust!
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69DHC » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:38 am

Thats very kind of you. I guess you'll be noise testing around 8am? I will drop by first thing as it's my anniversary that weekend so will be out "walking the dog" for half an hour. I'll PM you my details. Many thanks!

Also that note about the engine mounts, I didn't know that I'll look into that as well.
69DHC
New-tral

PreviousNext

Total Online: