Carbs meant to be mounted 'loose'?

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:45 pm

I thought I saw the ghost of Keith Frank a moment ago...
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:56 pm

twincamman wrote:what ever !!!!--think about it !!!! --YOU DONT CRANK THEM UP TIGHT :roll: --GEEEEZ you think like a Chevy guy -ed
I did not say crank them up tight. I wrote, ?But split washers, even two stacked, are much more stiff than a Thackeray washer, and they don't provide the degree of compliance needed to let the soft mount do it's job.? I?ll stand by that statement. And unlike you, I made no assumptions, or comments, about how tightly you cranked them up.

Using two split washers in lieu of each Thackeray washer changes the harmonic frequency response of the soft mount, shifting it closer to that of a solid mount.

I won?t debate your point with you any further; let?s just agree to disagree and to not help each other with our engines.

One thing of which I am certain, you don?t know me well enough to be claiming to know how I think.

Tim Engel
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Esprit2 wrote:Lotus' unique mount was die-cast metal and had a tapered, funnel-shaped bore which extended slightly to one side, forming a lip. The mount is to be installed with the funnel pointing toward the engine (large diameter toward carb / small diameter toward engine). There are some strange, complicated flow dynamics inside an intake manifold, including reverse flow. The lip is a dam meant to inhibit a reversion wave from reaching the carb and messing with the calibration. The funnel & lip may look restrictive to the eye, but the net result is really an improvement in flow and mixture control. It was a Lotus innovation.

Lotus used these anti-reversion bits on the carbureted 907 (45 mm carb) engines. Dave Bean explained this to me many years ago. I don't think they were ever used on the Twin Cam. I have a set for 45 DCOEs and will try to post a picture soon.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Geez Tim ,,,you sound like my wife :lol: Ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: