Air Filters that fit OE canister

PostPost by: urr333 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:09 am

Can anyone advise what air filter element fits the original canister. I have been supplied a FRAM CA614PL which is 2.5 inches deep and too thick to fit without distortion.
urr333
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:54 am

Try http://www.wixeurope.com/catalogue/Resu ... eField.y=8.
Click on blue part number, then All Applications.
This is what I have fitted to my S4.
Colin

urr333 wrote:Can anyone advise what air filter element fits the original canister. I have been supplied a FRAM CA614PL which is 2.5 inches deep and too thick to fit without distortion.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:42 pm

I had the same problem....did you get it from Sue Miller ?

I found that if you trim off the inner lip on each side and leave out the original rubber rings from the can it will just about fit.
Attachments
Air filter element - cut down 001.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: urr333 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks for your input. I did get it from Sue and trimming the inside edge was her solution also so I will give it a go!
Colin, I had a look at the website you suggest and it seems that the unit they offer is 60mm high (2.4 inches) so I guess must have similar problem.

Thanks again
Ted
urr333
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Mine was tight fit also and from Paul Matty.

It is correct though; see Fram website:

http://www.sogefifilterdivision.com/cat ... AM&lang=GB

Jason
Attachments
FRAM.jpg and
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:28 am

Paul Matty's told me the same, that's all that's available and they are slightly taller.

oldelanman wrote:I had the same problem....did you get it from Sue Miller ?

I found that if you trim off the inner lip on each side and leave out the original rubber rings from the can it will just about fit.

That is very neat cutting Roger- what did you use? I tried with a craft knife but made a pigs ear of it!

Regards

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Ted,
I put a vernier caliper across the filter. It measures 2.35" before squashing the seal.
Colin.

urr333 wrote:Thanks for your input. I did get it from Sue and trimming the inside edge was her solution also so I will give it a go!
Colin, I had a look at the website you suggest and it seems that the unit they offer is 60mm high (2.4 inches) so I guess must have similar problem.

Thanks again
Ted
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Robbie693 wrote:That is very neat cutting Roger- what did you use? I tried with a craft knife but made a pigs ear of it!

Well if you had persevered you may have achieved a silk purse :D

I can't recall what I cut it with but I do remember I did it in the kitchen it was either a carving knife or a serrated bread knife - something with a longish blade so I could cut from the outside edge and not try to work from the hole in the middle. The picture below shows how much difference there is between the Fram and the original elements

It's only really the look of the thing that warrants cutting the filter down, if the two halves of the can don't meet it doesn't affect the efficiency of the cleaner as the resulting gap round the circumference is on the "dirty" side of the element.

Regards,
Attachments
Air filter element.jpg and
Fram filter element Vs original
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: urr333 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Rodger,

Your photo does make clear why it is such an issue. The point you make re the gap is true but the fixing stud on the lid does not appear thru' the hole until the lid is well inside the canister!
As I do not have the mounting points for the Lotus kit I'm thinking of giving up and switching to a K&N cone which I think I will be able to install more simply.

Ted
urr333
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:37 pm

oldelanman wrote:
Robbie693 wrote:That is very neat cutting Roger- what did you use? I tried with a craft knife but made a pigs ear of it!

Well if you had persevered you may have achieved a silk purse :D

:lol:

It's only really the look of the thing that warrants cutting the filter down, if the two halves of the can don't meet it doesn't affect the efficiency of the cleaner as the resulting gap round the circumference is on the "dirty" side of the element.

Fortunately I practised on the old one and, after cocking it up, just installed the new one as it was, reasoning it was sealed anyway as you say. I managed to get the wingnut on without crushing the filter.

Regards

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sprints » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Champion makes a filter elment that fits perfectly in the original cannister. The filter # is W156. These can be obtained in the US from RD Enterprises. Hope this helps.
John
sprints
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:32 am

The last time I replaced the air filter I used a HAF221 from Halfords, it fitted without any mods.

Alan.
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: urr333 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:03 am

Many thanks for all of your helpful inputs.

Ted
urr333
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanmac » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:17 pm

I have a K&N filter in the for sale section that fits perfectly in the original housing. I bought one and as it didn't arrive after 6 weeks I bought another and they both came the same day.
elanmac
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: