HOW To clean the fuel system of my elan

PostPost by: redsteel » Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 pm

My Elan has stayed in the garage for quite some time (maybe 3 years) unfortunately with gas in her tank. It had Stabil in it when I parked her but I guess this must be no good after 3 year. Any advice how can I tackle this task more efficiently? I plan to try to do it myself, so I would appreciate detailed advice or suggestions as to where shall I look for it.
Thank you
C
redsteel
New-tral

PostPost by: m750rider » Tue May 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Before I took anything apart, I'd drain the tank and put some new new fuel in. Add some Techron fuel system cleaner, or something similar, and hope the carb jets and bowl are not too gummed up to get it running. If it runs, run a tank of good fuel through it.

Bob

1969 S4 SE
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:46 pm

Did you try to start it? :roll:
Hey; my hovercraft is full of eels. It's a Bastard but...
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: redsteel » Tue May 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Pete,
I am very skeptical about trying. Is there a downside? Can I possibly do further damage by trying to start it?
Shall I replenish the gas? Take out the old one and put new first?
I would be interested to know what you all know out there about this?
Thank you
C
redsteel
New-tral

PostPost by: m750rider » Wed May 25, 2011 2:06 am

After three years, fuel might be the least of your worries and the simplest to resolve. Pull the plugs, run the starter till you develop oil pressure, it shouldn't take too long. If it doesn't indicate oil pressure, don't start it.

If it does, put the plugs back in and see if it will start. There is a good chance the clutch is frozen and won't release so have the transmission in neutral, with the clutch pedal depressed. If it fires and runs, go from there. I'm sure you get lots of clues.
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 65sunbeam » Wed May 25, 2011 2:41 am

Does the gas smell like varnish or appear dark in color? Gas does not stay fresh very long even with Stabil. If you have Webers, take off a top cover and check out the float chamber and unscrew a few jets to see if they are gummed up. If not drain the old gas out and put in fresh gas and start it up after checking out the oil pressure as mentioned earlier. Good luck. Eric
65sunbeam
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: redsteel » Wed May 25, 2011 2:52 am

Thank you for all the advice. I will try to tackle this as soon as I can.
Please let me know if you think of any other imminent dangers and clues that I need to take into account.
C
redsteel
New-tral

Total Online: