Stops when hot! Why?

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Just a bit of an update on this as I've had a lot of useful advice on this forum.
Having checked other suggestions, removed the top off the back carb after shut off, the fuel level appears low although the float level is correct and filter clear.
However, whilst stationary but holding about 4500rpm the level in the glass of the mechanical fuel pump gradually goes down and after returning to idle it is slow to come back up.
Would I be right in thinking that the fuel pump is not giving of it's best ? ? ? And probably needs rebuilding.
Coincidentally I'm collaborating with someone via PM's regarding electric fuel pumping (and alternative venting of the tank to get rid of petrol fumes) and will probably go this route anyway (starting with new filters and fuel) and then see if the problem is cured. If not I won't be too pleased and left wondering what next!
Thanks so far everyone.
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:16 pm

[quote="seaandmoor"]Just a bit of an update on this as I've had a lot of useful advice on this forum.
Having checked other suggestions, removed the top off the back carb after shut off, the fuel level appears low although the float level is correct and filter clear.
However, whilst stationary but holding about 4500rpm the level in the glass of the mechanical fuel pump gradually goes down and after returning to idle it is slow to come back up.
Would I be right in thinking that the fuel pump is not giving of it's best ? ? ? And probably needs rebuilding.
Coincidentally I'm collaborating with someone via PM's regarding electric fuel pumping (and alternative venting of the tank to get rid of petrol fumes) and will probably go this route anyway (starting with new filters and fuel) and then see if the problem is cured. If not I won't be too pleased and left wondering what next!
Thanks so far everyone.[/quote]

It might well be the fuel pump but before condemning it check that there is not a restriction on the inlet and outlet pipework. Maybe a crushed hose, partially blocked filter or a kinked pipe somewhere. Having said that I fitted an electric pump to my car 40 years ago and recommend you do too. It makes starting easier because you don't have to fill the float chambers by cranking the engine.

Ian
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:03 am

Hi. Re an electric fuel pump the downside is when the engine fires the oil may not be pumped round and up to pressure yet although presumably this hasn't been an issue. Also in an accident or if the fuel line gets ruptured then depending on design they might just keep on pumping fuel out even once the engine has stopped running. Both of these are easily solved though - what do the electric systems used on the elans have - a mercury switch?. I fitted an SU electric pump to my old mini in the 80s and it was great - the high revs of my little 1400 engine had blown the mechanical pump to pieces.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: