Fuel pump knackered

PostPost by: sulzeruk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:01 am

Hi all, my mechanical pump diaphragm is past it so I whipped the pump off last night to see what the state of play was. I am deliberating whether to rebuild the pump or change to an electric one? Any ideas of preference and who does the pump rebuild kits for them?
Alasdair
sulzeruk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:30 am

sulzeruk wrote:....who does the pump rebuild kits for them? Alasdair

ebay Item number: 190498543880

Says it's "for" an AC Delco, but not "by" an AC Delco. Haven't bought one so can't vouch for quality.

Cheers - rd
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Alasdair,
If you are in the UK I know Sue Miller has stocked them in the past.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:03 pm

Hi Alasdair

Pumps, which are direct replacemens for the original AC Delco mechanical item, are readily available from any of the normal stockests. Only issues might be that thay don't have the nice glass bowl anymore nor can they be taken apart for overhaul, other than that they work fine. I don't think spares for the original pump are available at the moment but I'd hang on to it just in case in future they are. For me it's alway nice to keep original bits where possible.

I don't know anything about electric pumps. As I've never had any issues with the mechanical type so I've never seen any need to change

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Mine came with an electric pump and I like the comforting sound of it ticking and filling the float bowls after a long dormant period! It also means I don't have to crank the engine until the carbs are primed. 8)
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13 pm

Galwaylotus wrote:Mine came with an electric pump and I like the comforting sound of it ticking and filling the float bowls after a long dormant period! It also means I don't have to crank the engine until the carbs are primed. 8)

But you want to crank for a bit to build up oil pressure, so why not? Having said that, I have a Facet pump, and it makes fuel pressure regulation a doddle.

OT I know, but I just had to share: My other car, an old Jeep pick-up, has an early Renault/Bendix (Renix) EFI system, and the starting drill is interesting. Turn the key to "on" and wait 3 seconds (or listen) for the fuel pressure to charge the manifold to 41psi IIRC, and then turn the key and crank. It will turn over a minimum of 1080 degrees, so that the ECM can come off the default settings, and relearn where TDC of cylinder 1 or 6 is, and then set the electronic ignition. Sounds weird, but I like the fact that all the diagnostic codes are voltage or resistance values, so you can use a VOM (multimeter) rather than a computer to troubleshoot. Comes in handy when you're BFE in Baja.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:06 am

Hi

As far as I know it is still possible to get hold of the valves and diaphragm for these pumps- try Burlem Services.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:48 pm

That's Burlen, with an "n" by the way. http://www.burlen.co.uk/
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: