Fitting K & N Filter

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:12 pm

I purchased a K&N cone shape filter from one of "the usual suspects" here in the U.S.. The large diameter of the cone is around 6 1/2". It will not fit through the front grill opening nor through the small opening between the fender well and the radiator core support.

I want to mount the filter within the nose using standard flex trunking to connect it to the standard air box.

Anyone succeeded in doing this? Any suggestions"

New filter of smaller dimensions" I will not remove a light pod to gain access to the nose.

I thought of crushing the filter. I thought of other things I should not mention here.

Bob
1969 Elan +2
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:21 am

I can imagine your frustration! I have a setup similar to your description but my cone filter must be smaller than your one because it fits through the nose without any problems. I would swap it for a smaller one.
Ohter option is to take the radiator/engine out but that would be silly would it not!
My filter is hanging with a strap form the crossbar between the headlights.
Seems to work fine. Hope you can sort your problem.
cheers
Robin :wink:
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:33 am

Bob
Fitting K&N filters to Elan/Plus 2's is problematic which is why I designed my own set up. I did this a few years ago and it has been discussed regularly on the forum. (There is a picture on my website of one installed on my Sprint).
It is a nice compact unit and mates up to the original ducting.
It can be sited either in the original air cannister position or mine is situated on the inner wing where it sits high up neatly out of the way of the radiator and stays cleaner as it does not see so much muck from the road.
There are a few Plus 2 owners on this forum using this very set up.

Clive
Attachments
KN filter assy dimensions 002.jpg and
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:18 pm

Clive
Your bracket design looks great. I would like to see it used on a plus 2.

I have limited space in my nose. I have mounted the headlamp vacuum solenoid by the pod on the air intake side. As well as one brake booster on the opposite side.

I will need to get the proper sized filter and have a bracket made then place it where it will fit.

I do not know how specialty parts suppliers know so little about the parts they sell.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:58 pm

My Plus 2S was missing the airfilter, so I adapted this one from a 1982 BMW 323i. The filter element is rectangular and is sandwiched in the air box, which is cut down and open underneath. Also can be seen the oil cooler, wide type radiator, and bottom of the twin 10" Kenlowe electric fans.

Sean Murray
Attachments
DSCI0003.JPG and
BMW 323i air filter in Elan +2S
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:29 am

I will try to post two pictures of the large K&N in my Plus 2. One is the very simple bracket I made to hold it in place. The second is the "finished product". I modified my already good seal on the right side of the radiator; it does not show in the picture well but I have a good shot of it if someone is interested. So here goes with the pictures.
Ken
Attachments
Big K&N bracket 2.jpg and
filter in car 1.jpg and
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:38 pm

I took the K & N filter that would not fit through the air opening and placed it on the floor. I then stomped on it to crush it and reduce the large diameter.

It now fits through the intake and is attached to the air trunking. I will locate a proper replacement as one of my winter projects.

Another Lotus mod.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:01 am

lotuselan2 wrote:I will try to post two pictures of the large K&N in my Plus 2. One is the very simple bracket I made to hold it in place. The second is the "finished product". I modified my already good seal on the right side of the radiator; it does not show in the picture well but I have a good shot of it if someone is interested.
Ken

Hi Ken,

Your set-up looks good. I'd appreciate seeing a photo of the radiator seal arrangement.

Thanks,

Sean
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:40 pm

Ken;

Any issues with water getting on the filter media? I suppose gravity will stop any water rising up to the intake manifold.
Phil
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: